Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer purchases iTunes 12

If anyone can find out how this happens it would be useful to know. I downloaded app updates on my iPhone this morning, all quite large ones. I usually then sync my iPhone to my PC which copies the apps to the PC, then I can sync to my iPod Touch and iPad.

With the update to iTunes 12 I synched the phone but the apps did not transfer. I cannot find any way to force a transfer - used to right click on the device and there was an option to transfer purchases, also I believe that was on the file menu of iTunes.

When I click on the Apps menu item for my iPhone nothing loads on the screen, and I no longer have a list of apps such as Kindle and bookwriter that have the ability to directly transfer items so this is proving a little tedious.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 12:52 PM

Haven't updated my Windows copy of iTunes yet... and not sure I'm going to yet... BUT I did figure it out on the Mac!!!

File Menu --> Devices --> Transfer Purchases

12 replies

Oct 17, 2014 1:16 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi, thanks for the responses - I do have the menu bar revealed, I had made my iTunes 11 as much like the iTunes I have been using since pre-2004, sadly missing the side bar now though.

And the file menu/devices/transfer purchases is there.

My next problem is that updated apps are not synching either from the iPhone where I had updated them to the PC. And just discovered that having updated them on the PC they are now not transferring to my iPod touch. I can't believe Apple have removed the ability to synch apps in this way and to date there were no settings to prevent this happening so no idea what is on iTunes 12 that is preventing this happening for me. Hmm, just asked the iPod to update the two apps listed and it begins to update and then revers to the update box. I think I'll worry about this once we have the new OS on Monday as there has been something buggy about updated apps for some of us.

Oct 17, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Denise Woodcock

Go through each of the sources Music, Movies etc. and select Playlists. Use the ellipsis ... to enable the sources you want to see. Apps, Tones, and Internet Radio don't have a Playlists button, but the others do and remember your selection. Not quite the same as it used to be, but not too different. Other display controls are available from the drop down at the right-hand side.

User uploaded file

One "gotcha" to be aware of is that the search box at the top right doesn't clear when you move between sources as it used to.

tt2

Nov 3, 2014 7:32 AM in response to pnosko

I Think you have touched on a thought that I have had. Apple seem to be suffering from Google (Android) envy. Their phones are more stand alone items where there is no software such as iTunes to control the content and Apple seem to want to rush headlong into this model.

they they seem to have lost the idea that Android and IOS are different models.

Personally I liked the concept of iTunes holding the control of content on an Idevice and frankly I am fed up with paying double bandwidth for Itunes to download a podcast that has already been downloaded to my iPhone. I am fed up with seeing that I have umpteen million and frooth podcasts because it is counting my feed of episodes which have already been played and I have deleted. I am fed up with deleting podcasts only to see them come back like cockroaches that you thought that you had killed and I am P/o'ed with either iTunes or the phone suddenly deciding to download 43 episodes of a podcast without permission.

All because Apple have android envy and want the iPhone to be more like a nexus for content!

it is way beyond time that Apple came back to the real world and understand that just because I am happy to pay $500 for my 128gb 6+ it doesn't mean that I have also the money for unlimited bandwidth and just because I have 128gb it doesn't mean that I wish to junk it up with content which I don't actually want or that I've already discarded.

Some of us want control of our device(s) rather than have them control us.

Some of us also are subject to data caps. I have already had to change service once for this and one of the questions i had when looking at the "data cap exceeded" email was how much of that "overage" was down to Apple downloading stuff that was unrequested, unwanted or just plain duplicated?

Nov 3, 2014 7:57 AM in response to crazyEnglishman

I'm not so sure I touched on your thought. (BTW, I didn't notice this was the iTunes Windows forum as I got here via a Google search.) But I am pretty sure Apple does not have Android envy. I think you actually have that thought reversed.

My irritation with Apple is that 1) it felt a need to remove the transfer purchases option from where it was (seemingly just for the sake of making a change) and 2) that transferring purchases is still not part of the sync process as of version 12.

If you have a data cap, you can exclude using cellular data under Settings, iTunes & App Store. I have no issue with the same app being downloaded directly to my iPhone and again to iTunes on my Mac. I just wish iTunes was more intelligent with synchronizing the differences.

Transfer purchases iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.