Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Messages + Google (Jabber) Account = Broken

After upgrading to Yosemite (OS 10.10), my Google accounts (Gmail and Jabber) no longer work with the Messages app. Only Bonjour is working. Mind you, I have been using my Gmail accounts with Messages (iChat) as far back as Mac OS 10.4.

For troubleshooting purposes, I added a brand new Google account to Messages, seeing if old account settings had been corrupted during the upgrade. However, this also failed.

Basically, the Google/Jabber account tries to connect, stating "Connecting…", but then eventually fails and says, "Disconnected."

I also looked at the Jabber port settings. There's nothing unusual about it.

Any ideas?

AppleTV 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:11 AM

I was playing around with the Messages account settings. SSL seemed to be the culprit. Disabling SSL, then enabling it again worked. Also, instead of enabling the option "Automatically find server and port," make sure the settings are manually set and coordinate with the screenshot attached.

Also, make sure the account is set to inactive before making any of these changes, otherwise, it may not take. Then, make the Server Settings changes. And lastly, enable the account.

User uploaded file

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2014 7:11 AM in response to Scott Konradt

I was playing around with the Messages account settings. SSL seemed to be the culprit. Disabling SSL, then enabling it again worked. Also, instead of enabling the option "Automatically find server and port," make sure the settings are manually set and coordinate with the screenshot attached.

Also, make sure the account is set to inactive before making any of these changes, otherwise, it may not take. Then, make the Server Settings changes. And lastly, enable the account.

User uploaded file

Oct 19, 2014 9:45 AM in response to abe-froman

Unfortunately, there wasn't one specific step which solved Jabber working with Messages. From what I recall, I connected using Port 5222 without SSL, disconnected then tried Port 5223 with SSL again.

My settings from the screenshot above are still working today.

Otherwise, I think if you contact Apple via phone, they will help you without AppleCare because this is an issue with Yosemite. An Apple Genius tried helping me. And while I was waiting for a higher level tech, I was tampering with these settings and got it to work on my own. It was dumb luck.

Oct 19, 2014 12:13 PM in response to Scott Konradt

hi,

This is a Google issue and is present in Mavericks as well.

It depends on your Login and Settings at Google.

Google no longer rely on SSL and state their "Auth One" method is better.

This means you have to go to your Google Account Settings and chose the "less Secure Apps" option to allow them to login.

It appears you also cannot have two Step Verification AND Less Secure apps set at the same time.

It is common with all Jabber Servers that use SSL that if the connection is Dropped you have to manually reset it (Set the Account to not be Enabled then Enable it again).

Messages will change automatically from displaying port 5223 when SSL is in use to port 5222 when you turn it Off.

You can manually change it to port 443 for Google which also works.

User uploaded file

8:13 pm Sunday; October 19, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Mar 9, 2015 11:59 AM in response to kubajz896

Hi,

Can I double check that ?

You are NOT using 2 Step Verification at Google.

You Are using "Less Secure Apps" at the Google Settings ?

User uploaded file

6:59 pm Monday; March 9, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 9, 2015 3:27 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

No sry. I've done that as I turned it off. Sorry

Sent from my mobile device

9. 3. 2015 v 22:54, Apple Support Communities Updates <discussions-updates@apple.com>:

Apple Support Communities

Ralph Johns (UK) has posted in the iChat community.

Hi,

"Yes you do " what ? Use 2 step verification or less secure apps ?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/543738040

9:54 pm Monday; March 9, 2015

​ iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

To post a reply, go to the discussion in Apple Support Communities.

You are receiving this email from Apple Support Communities. You can change your email preferences in your Apple Support Communities Profile.

TM and copyright © 2014 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, MS 96-DM. Cupertino, CA 95014.

All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Apple Support

Mar 10, 2015 12:43 PM in response to kubajz896

HI,

This is n my Google Account's Settings page when it has been scrolled down a tiny bit.

User uploaded file

2 Step Verification and Less Secure apps are two different settings.

User uploaded file

7:43 pm Tuesday; March 10, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 18, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Scott Konradt

I finally found some relief. The steps in this link to quit Messages, then use Activity Monitor to quit/force quit (quit worked for me) imagent finally let me send Jabber picture.

http://www.mcelhearn.com/fix-a-problem-sending-screenshots-in-os-xs-messages/

Laz

Edit - (I realize now I may have posted to the wrong thread - I had bookmarked this for my inability to send images via Jabber and AIM that happened with 10.10)

Jun 24, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hello everyone (Ralph, the guru),

I am having an issue where I cannot go in and change the server settings inside of messenger for my google talk account? They are greyed out even when i disable the accounts from both messages and from internet accounts unders preferences.

Also is there a way to do group gchat messages from within messages?

Thanks,

Trevor

Jun 24, 2015 12:14 PM in response to Maxx270

HI,

It does appear now that some Google Accounts do seem to "Lock" the Preferences of Messages in some way.

I have a Google Mail Account and do not have this problem.

My impression it is accounts that are Google but the domain name tends to be for some company name. (I.e. the name is not username@gmail.com or username@googlemail.com

The other cause is running the Mac User Account with Parental Controls turned On

If it is the first reason - a special sub account at Google, then I am not sure we can help.

For Group Chats (Chat rooms)

You should be able to start a Chat by adding several People to the "To" spot to send them an invite all at once (you can't drag someone to an existing 1-1 chat).

Alternatively you can select several Buddies from the Buddy List and then use the text Chat icon to invite them all at once.

User uploaded file

8:14 p.m. Wednesday; June 24, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jun 24, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the try, but there shouldnt be any parental controls on. Although this isnt an admin account, i do have the password to override it if I have to.

As for the group chats, ive tried that, but since I also have the phone numbers for the contacts, even tho I select google talk usernames, when i send the message it defaults to their imessage group message?

Thanks,

Trevor

Jun 24, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Maxx270

hi,

Do you display the Buddy list(s) ?

I much prefer doing things from there in some cases like this.

If you have several Buddy list combined (the Window Menu lists "Buddies") then separate them in Messages > Preferences > General Section and the items about gathering Buddy lists and untick it.

Now in the window Menu you should CMD + # for each Account Messages has.

Everyone but the iMessages one will have a Buddy List (AIM, Bonjour and Google and etc.)

I then use the Google Buddy List and select the Buddies I want

Holding down the CMD button allows you to miss out and select people individually.

Then using the Text Chat icon they should appear as a group chat in the main window.

User uploaded file

I tested here with AIM name just because I have enough accounts not to bother anyone else.

My experience is it works the same way in Google and other Jabber chats.

User uploaded file

9:28 p.m. Wednesday; June 24, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.