Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6.5 Backward compatibility

Will presentations created in the new Keynote 6.5 open in the older 6.0?

I’d like to upgrade but worried that my clients won’t be able to read the file until they update which might take a while.
I realize some of the new trace animations and such won’t work but are their other things I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

Craig

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 3.4 GHz i7 | 24 GB Memory/2GB Vram

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:13 AM

5 replies

Oct 18, 2014 1:04 PM in response to Craig Col.

OK so I answered my own question to those who were wondering about compatibility.

I upgraded my laptop to Yosemite as a test for this.

Then I compressed the old Keynote 6.22 application before updating to the newer 6.5 and then expanded/renamed to "Keynote_v622".

Newer Keynote 6.5 files won't open with Keynote 6.22 out of the gate, but you can export to Keynote 09.

User uploaded file

BUT with one quick change you CAN open a v6.5 project with 6.22.

You can change the file type to "Package" in "File/Advanced/Change File Type" and it will now open in 6.22!

I have tested this and it does work!

I added a new "Trace" animation to text on a slide and the file still opened, although it changed the animation to a "Dissolve".

I'm haven't tested every new feature to see how they convert back but this is good news!

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2015 9:45 AM in response to Craig Col.

OK, so reading this post and trying to figure out now how to OPEN a packaged Keynote 6.5 file on my machine, which is running Mavericks and using Key 6.2. I have a client who's on the new Key and saw this tutorial yesterday on the forums. So, he's just sent me a packaged file but my Key app doesn't seem to have anything recognizable to "open." There are four subfolders in the "package" - _MACOSX, Data, Index and Metadata. I figured OK, Index sub. So I go in and everything's grayed out and in .iwa format. Can someone now complete the process started in this thread and let a Key 6.2/Mavericks user know how to open this thing?

I'm getting really, really tired of thee Apple apps being rendered useless every time a new OSX comes out. Def NOT "upgrading" to the new OSX due to my experience with "updating" to Mavericks. Was a complete disaster, took me almost six weeks to get all my apps up and running again. Ugh.

thx

6.5 Backward compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.