Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remote desktop 3.72 updater in App Store

I just updated to Yosemite and the App Store is showing an update for Apple Remote Desktop (administrator) 3.72. That's the version I'm already running. Clicking on update brings up a message saying it's already installed. I bought this software before the App Store and it's been updated regularly but now I can't get rid of the update entry in the App Store. (I know, sounds confusing.) I tried dragging the application to the Trash and reinstalling but it remembers all the other installed files and won't let me update it. I dragged the application back from the trash and at least it runs. Has anyone seen this since upgrading to Yosemite? Is there a way to use my current serial number with an App Store version? Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:07 AM

62 replies

Oct 18, 2014 6:55 AM in response to Joel Hakam

I'm getting different error messages/prompts depending on how I try updating. If I click on the Update button in the App Store Updates section, it says it's already installed, which it is (v3.7.2). If I wait for the daily/irregular update notification to say I have an update and go ahead and press that, it says it won't update because the app used a different account name, which it actually did because I installed it via DVD a few years ago (installed as ver 3.0, updated via Software Update). (I didn't grab a screen shot but will add tomorrow or so when it comes up again.)

I never tried installed the Remote Desktop Administrator application using the App Store so I'm not sure why it would show up. This looks like a bug on Apple's part when combining old manually installed applications with App Store installations and trying to run the same software updater for both. Not sure if any Apple people actually read these forums but if they do please respond with suggestions.

User uploaded file

Oct 18, 2014 8:16 AM in response to Tuxtla

I uninstalled Apple Remote Desktop using this information from Apple, Uninstall or disable Apple Remote Desktop

I didn't have the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist and for some reason I actually had the ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop, which is where Apple stores App Store purchases. Once I deleted everything, the App Store updater didn't show any updates for Remote Desktop (obviously because I didn't have the application but at least this is working).

I proceeded to re-install ARD using the DVD. This is an unlimited client management disk requiring 10.3.9 or later. I got a message saying a newer version was already installed but I believe this is because it was also trying to install the client software. It stuck when trying to add a password to the administrative software so I had to force quit. The App Store updater came up with the update notice and once I clicked on it it said it was already installed (3.7.2), which it wasn't. I tried again and this time I got the following message:

User uploaded file

At this point, I don't have a functioning ARD administrator application. I'll contact Apple and see if I can exchange my ver3.0 serial number for an App Store redemption code. I did notice I didn't have the ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop after reinstalling so somewhere along the line something got installed but it never showed up in my purchases.

Oct 18, 2014 12:05 PM in response to Peter Link

Experiencing exact same issue here. Had 3.7.2 already installed in Mavericks and now, after Yosemite upgrade, I have ARD stuck in software updates with no way to remove it, and no way to do the upgrade. I either get "Software already installed" message, obviously since I have 3.7.2 installed,or alternatively I get "the software cannot be upgraded because it was purchased on another Apple ID"...

remote desktop 3.72 updater in App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.