Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 MBP slow after Yosemite

After installing 10.10, my MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM is dreadfully slow. I have 200+GB of drive space left. The slowness is many forms. It boots noticeably slower, It launches apps slower, The apps themselves are laggy, and internet browsing is slower in safari and firefox.

An example of lag in apps would be Vienna when moving from one news article to another there I now get the pinwheel. MS word lags behind my typing. This did not happen before the upgrade.

Internet pages now have several seconds of lag before they even start to load. Even pages already visited.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:19 AM

65 replies

Oct 17, 2014 1:15 PM in response to Todd Getz

I'm having the same problem (MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) 500GB SSD 4GB RAM) although for me it's only the internet that is painfully slow. I've tried both Chrome (my usual default) and Safari with similar results. I don't know anything about re-indexing for spotlight or whatever but I'll give it a couple of hours and see if there is any difference. I'll have to make sure my wife doesn't update her MBair so that we have at least one serviceable computer in the house.

Oct 17, 2014 10:57 PM in response to Todd Getz

I was having the same issues and discovered this article with ways to fix the problems.

http://machmachines.com/mac-slow-yosemite-update-fix/

These links helped too:

http://machmachines.com/macbook-pro-running-slow-heres-how-to-fix-it/

Scroll to bottom of this article to see how to do SMC reset for iMac if needed:

http://machmachines.com/imac-running-slow-easy-common-fixes/

Worked for me on both my MacBook Pro and my iMac.

Oct 18, 2014 9:07 AM in response to Todd Getz

Same issue for me. 2010 MBP, 4gb RAM with more than 200GB of free space left on the 500GB HDD. Installed Yosemite yesterday in the afternoon and have been experiencing the pinwheel pretty much with every single click of the trackpad regardless of which program I'm using, even in system preferences, even doing something as simple as clicking to type in a text field.

There's also quite a long delay between hitting, for example, the volume keys and having the graphic display on the screen and iTunes will freeze up every few seconds when playing a song.

Internet is noticeably slower as well, which is only made more painful by the pinwheeling every time I try to do anything within the browser itself.

I have done everything in those macmachines articles short of actually reinstalling the OS altogether, and it still hasn't solved the problem.

Oct 18, 2014 9:18 AM in response to Todd Getz

I have this same issue. It was painful even typing up this response due to the pinwheeling that is taking place all the time. I have tried all the recommended "fixes" and nothing is helping. I am ready to go back to Maverick. Disappointed does not describe my feelings. I have wasted the better part of 6 hours trying to fix this issue. I am ready to throw in the towel.

Oct 18, 2014 9:47 AM in response to CakemanPA

hi CakemanPA

i had the same issue, just to update what i had tried

1. try to fix the file permission via Disk Utility

2. my laptop was slowed till a point of hang, so i had done a few times of forced shutdown and reboot

3. my guess was the Google Chrome that causing the issue, so i closed all the apps

4. then i repeat the step 2 plus some restarts via the Apple menu

and it now seems to be okay and back to the normal maverick speed

Oct 18, 2014 10:48 AM in response to DearestClaudio

I just realized upon reviewing the machmachine articles that I had missed the bit about PRAM resetting. I tried it, and it seems to have made SOME difference. Pinwheeling is a lot less frequent, and the internet speed seems to have improved, at least in safari. I will try another SMC reset to see if that helps any.

There is still significant lag and pinwheeling while I'm trying to type this, but where I experienced it earlier it seems to be better. I can at least use my computer itself to try solve the issue instead of looking everything up on my phone.

Oct 19, 2014 5:23 AM in response to flaghand

i think this is a really a major problem for the new Mac OS X update, previously i got no issue at all for all the previous versions

Yosemite seems to be drastically a major revamp in term of UI etc, and i do notice that the first few startups the mac is almost literally like hang there. do try to reset a few times with all the application processes close and see

Oct 19, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Todd Getz

I have the same issue. MacBook Pro 2010 with 4GB Memory , 160 GB free on disk drive, 5200 RPM, hard drive is not fragmented.

Mavericks loaded up much quicker.

Boot time of Yosemite is very slow. Interestingly, the background color of boot screen is grey but is black on a MacBook Pro Retina.

Applications seem to load up in a satisfactory amount of time.

Oct 19, 2014 2:34 PM in response to Todd Getz

Activity Monitor is the same in Yosemite.

Activity Monitor - Mavericks

Activity Monitor in Mavericks has significant changes

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Slow Mac After Mavericks

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

2010 MBP slow after Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.