Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto not opening after Yosemite opens through App Store

I updated iPhoto to 9.6 and then upgraded to Yosemite. iPhoto now shows as an invalid icon; when I click on it, I get the message "in order to open iPhoto you need to update to the latest version, the version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with Yosemite". It then tells me to search the App Store.

I do have the latest version of iPhoto. When I go to the App Store after hitting the "search" option from the error message to download it again, instead of the "install" button there is an "open" button that then opens iPhoto normally. But I can't open iPhoto unless I do it from the App Store button.

Any ideas?

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:42 AM

15 replies

Aug 14, 2017 4:16 PM in response to LarryHN

No, it was possible to install iPhoto 9.6. In applications the icon shows as the old version with a line through it. When I open it from App Store, it shows as the new icon but there is no way to keep it in my dock or in applications.

Oct 17, 2014 7:47 AM in response to Community User

iPhoto now shows as an invalid icon; when I click on it, I get the message "in order to open iPhoto you need to update to the latest version, the version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with Yosemite". It then tells me to search the App Store.

Where are you seeing this invalid icon? In the Dock or the launch pad? The Dock economy be tied to an older version.

remove the Dock icon and drag iPhoto 9.6 from your Applications folder to the Dock.

Oct 28, 2014 3:45 AM in response to Community User

i have it sorted out athe100

in finder/apps i dragged the app to the trash it wouldn't drag from the dock!

I then removed the icon with the "line through it" from the dock by dragging it to desktop

then searched in the finder window for "iPhoto.app"

One was found and oddly it was here:

Macintosh HD / Applications / Shrunk Apps / Applications

checked the version and it was the new one !!!

(also a few other apps in there and they seem to be older versions, but not put there by me)

i opened a new finder window and dragged iPhoto into applications and then dragged it down to the dock.

i believe the new version i downloaded before yosemite went into "shrunk Apps" instead of the older.

Hope this works for you

Oct 28, 2014 5:30 AM in response to Community User

Where in the world did this response come from? "This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled." No other user has ever bought anything for my iMac, and I sure never "refunded" or "cancelled" iPhoto! Now I can't do anything with iPhoto. The App store only permits an upgrade, it appears, not a full replacement for an app that must be faulty in some way.

Get the same peculiar update message for iMovie, though was able to update Keynote, Pages and Numbers OK.

Aug 26, 2015 6:53 AM in response to Community User

I had this issue too - as of Yosemite, iPhoto has been discontinued, replaced with an app named Photo - you're trying to open an app that will not upgrade and has been shut down by your system. Click on the launchpad and search for 'photo' drag the icon onto your toolbar and use this app instead - it should pick up all your files automatically. Delete the old icon to avoid confusion by dragging it into the waste bin. Hope this helps.

iPhoto not opening after Yosemite opens through App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.