Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse disconnects

My Magic Mouse disconnects (turns off) after 5/10 seconds after connecting it to my Mac. I have to lift the mouse and click the mouse button in order to turn in on again.

I've had a look at some other posts but none of them seem similar to mine. The mouse rarely reconnects itself, you have to physically lift and shake (press) the mouse in order for the green light to light up again and the mouse to connect.

The mouse seems to disconnect (faster) when not in use (even for 1 second). If I keep using the mouse (fast moving the pointer) it seems to keep connected. I've tested with multiple batteries (Mac indicates 100% charged). It came with my 2012 Imac OSX 10.10.

Does anyone recognize this problem, or (even better) does anyone know how to solve it?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Magic Mouse

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2017 11:51 PM

Hi,

I had a very similar issue with to a two magic mouses (magic mice?) blue-toothed to two different Macs.

After attempting many different solutions (on/off Bluetooth, computer, mouse, exchange/replace batteries, resets of all types...) This worked for me in both cases:

(1) Take out the cover (lid) of the battery case of the mouse.

(2) Bend the cover inwards (yes, bend the metal).

(3) Put the cover back in. Done / solved.

Apparently, loose batteries often cause the issue. In the above way, the cover exercises enough pressure on the batteries to keep them in place. You could use paper placed under the cover, but it will be a hassle and fall out every time.

I was reading this elsewhere on the web, and first doubted this would work, but tried and to my amazement it worked.

As the question keeps getting "I have this question too"s, I thought to share.

Note: Obviously, there can be other/very different reasons for Bluetooth connections to fail, but this reason (loose batteries) was it for me in 2/2 cases (different mice) for me.

Hope this helps someone.

78 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2017 11:51 PM in response to m.dlc

Hi,

I had a very similar issue with to a two magic mouses (magic mice?) blue-toothed to two different Macs.

After attempting many different solutions (on/off Bluetooth, computer, mouse, exchange/replace batteries, resets of all types...) This worked for me in both cases:

(1) Take out the cover (lid) of the battery case of the mouse.

(2) Bend the cover inwards (yes, bend the metal).

(3) Put the cover back in. Done / solved.

Apparently, loose batteries often cause the issue. In the above way, the cover exercises enough pressure on the batteries to keep them in place. You could use paper placed under the cover, but it will be a hassle and fall out every time.

I was reading this elsewhere on the web, and first doubted this would work, but tried and to my amazement it worked.

As the question keeps getting "I have this question too"s, I thought to share.

Note: Obviously, there can be other/very different reasons for Bluetooth connections to fail, but this reason (loose batteries) was it for me in 2/2 cases (different mice) for me.

Hope this helps someone.

Oct 17, 2014 10:30 AM in response to m.dlc

From what you describe it does look like your batteries, or their connection points are at fault. The green light is all important here. Please try this.

First, use only Energiser, Apple, Duracell or eneloop batteries. Most others can be a little too small and fail to connect properly. Non branded batteries in particular. Then, before inserting the batteries, thoroughly clean the inside of the battery compartment. If that is soiled, even the best batteries may fail. Once you have done that, reinsert the batteries and try again. Report back with what happens.

Oct 18, 2014 10:29 AM in response to ajbatac

Ditto for me; this only started happening immediately after installing Yosemite. I am also noticing that sometimes the first page or two I load in Safari is extremely slow to load, and then future pages are normal. I'm wondering if both BlueTooth and WiFi are being flakey (maybe in some related way?).

The batteries in my mouse are Apple-branded and have been recharged many times. They tend to lose charge pretty quickly. So perhaps the mouse problem is related to non-optimal batteries after all, but in some way that is particularly exacerbated by Yosemite.

I see there are some threads from the Yosemite public beta releases about flaky BlueTooth and flaky WiFi, so it looks like perhaps not all of the problems have yet been fixed.

Oct 20, 2014 7:11 AM in response to m.dlc

See also OSX Yosemite Wifi issues

Following the suggestions in that thread, I turned off Bluetooth and sure enough, my WiFi hasn't acted up since. But of course without Bluetooth I can't use my Magic Mouse. I'll probably use an old spare wired mouse until this is fixed in an update. (I didn't try turning off WiFi to see if that would make the Magic Mouse work reliably.)

Oct 22, 2014 1:49 AM in response to seventy one

I have the same problem.

After updating to OS X Yosemite my magic mouse disconnects after a while.

Changing batteries did not help.

I did reset PRAM, but the problem still exists.

Then i removed the mouse from the bluetooth menu.

And re-connected (paired) it again.

But after a while the problem occurred again.

(In the bluetooth menu i did n't see my iPhone 5.....searching apparatus)

I think the problem is not in the magic mouse...

Due to the fact that it occurred after updating to Yosimite.

My MacBook Pro 13' medium 2012.

Oct 27, 2014 9:32 AM in response to m.dlc

I too have the same issue. My Magic Mouse just simply loses connection at random intervals after installing Yosemite. I did not have this problem with the prior operating system and the same mouse. I also have the internet connection problem but not as bad as many. The only thing I have been able to do is start over. When the mouse and/ or internet goes down, if I shut down the computer and restart, everything works fine for awhile and then at a random interval it stops again. Way beyond annoying.

Oct 31, 2014 2:33 AM in response to paul0704

What dit i do...

After the magic mouse loses connection, it's mostly impossible to reconnect.

Sometimes.. i choose: mouse-connect in the bluetooth menu and it connects again.

But most of the time's it's dead.

Now i tried the following.

The mouse looses connection.

i don't move the mouse.

Tried to connect via the bluetooth menu (using trackpad..) and it doesn't connect.

Then (still not moving the mouse) i reboot the MacBook Pro and reset the PRAM.

(using option -Command-P-R buttons at once.. the boot)

And guess what:.... The magic mouse works fine again !!

So that proves it's a bluetooth issue with OS X Yosemite.

Does Apple read this forum?

Oct 31, 2014 7:10 PM in response to paul0704

My mouse is slow to connect after my 5k iMac sleeps. After a few clicks and turning it over to look for the green light it comes back, but all scrolling and gestures are gone. The only way I can get scrolling back is to reboot.

Pretty frustrating and annoying that I've had to return to a USB mouse as a work around.

Magic Mouse disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.