Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This partition map modification would make a Windows partition unbootable

When trying to install OS X Yosemite on my MacBook, my Mac gives me the message "This partition map modification would make a Windows partition unbootable" with a Restart button beneath it, and when I click that button, my Mac restarts and this thing continues to loop.

Any ideas?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:38 AM

6 replies

Oct 17, 2014 9:29 AM in response to DobaKung

The Yosemite installer may convert your disk to Core Storage and offer you the option to use File Vault (this option can be unchecked during the installation). However, Core Storage only permits two partitions, so you will have to sort this before trying Yosemite.

I also believe that Bootcamp must be setup using the Bootcamp Assistant and after installing the primary operating system. So be sure to have your Windows and Ubuntu saved to external disks, before going any further. (Also external backup of your Mavericks too, for that matter)

Aug 31, 2015 8:13 PM in response to DobaKung

I actually had the same problem, due to the fact that I have three partitions, osx, windows and an exfat to be a shared home partition for both OSX and Windows.

I found a solution to the problem:

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my OSX drive onto a usb external drive which had no extra partitions.

Use System Preferences/Startup Disk to boot the usb drive.

Run the OSX upgrade on the usb drive install instead.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the usb drive back to the osx drive.

It worked perfectly without having to change/risk my other two partitions!

This partition map modification would make a Windows partition unbootable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.