Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Normalize Audio

Since the last thread on this subject was marked as 'answered' with dangerously incorrect information, hereby a new thread.

Where is 'normalize audio' in FCPX?

Note: 'Loudness' is not, nor does it even approximate, 'normalize.'

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 1:56 AM

Normalize looks at the entire audio file and adjusts the volume so that the peaks don't exceed 0dB full scale.

Full marks for a question that wasn't asked.

This is almost never what you want to do with audio.

Rather presumptuous? In any case, since you mention Moonlight Sonata, even a half-decently recorded piece of classical music should never have to suffer the indignities of violent compression - particularly the crude hammer-type tools on offer in FCPX. If its ultimate destination happens to be earbuds fed from a low-bandwidth cellphone, fair enough, crush it. But bear in mind, the combined efforts of performer, conductor and engineer who've faithfully tried to deliver Ludwig's intended/interpreted dynamics will all be for nought. (In post, there are plenty more situations requiring normalise as opposed to limit/compression, e.g. preserving an actors' dynamics in dialogue recording. But now that we've been told we should never want to do this with audio, then we stand corrected.)

... you can manually normalize by grabbing the volume bar in the audio in the storyline and dragging it up or down until the peaks touch the 0dB line.

True. And I could use a bucket to fetch water from a well. But that would be daft when the wonders of modern plumbing have afforded such luxuries as pumps and taps (faucets if you're American). That is, unless the local corporation spent a lot of money re-inventing plumbing from scratch and decided that taps should be t'other way up and you'd have a clip-based approach to water-flow, dragging and dropping presets onto an icon instead of turning the blasted handle. Well, I suppose that's progress. Wonderful. Now give me back my normalise, please. Now.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2014 1:56 AM in response to fox_m

Normalize looks at the entire audio file and adjusts the volume so that the peaks don't exceed 0dB full scale.

Full marks for a question that wasn't asked.

This is almost never what you want to do with audio.

Rather presumptuous? In any case, since you mention Moonlight Sonata, even a half-decently recorded piece of classical music should never have to suffer the indignities of violent compression - particularly the crude hammer-type tools on offer in FCPX. If its ultimate destination happens to be earbuds fed from a low-bandwidth cellphone, fair enough, crush it. But bear in mind, the combined efforts of performer, conductor and engineer who've faithfully tried to deliver Ludwig's intended/interpreted dynamics will all be for nought. (In post, there are plenty more situations requiring normalise as opposed to limit/compression, e.g. preserving an actors' dynamics in dialogue recording. But now that we've been told we should never want to do this with audio, then we stand corrected.)

... you can manually normalize by grabbing the volume bar in the audio in the storyline and dragging it up or down until the peaks touch the 0dB line.

True. And I could use a bucket to fetch water from a well. But that would be daft when the wonders of modern plumbing have afforded such luxuries as pumps and taps (faucets if you're American). That is, unless the local corporation spent a lot of money re-inventing plumbing from scratch and decided that taps should be t'other way up and you'd have a clip-based approach to water-flow, dragging and dropping presets onto an icon instead of turning the blasted handle. Well, I suppose that's progress. Wonderful. Now give me back my normalise, please. Now.

Oct 18, 2014 1:01 AM in response to SaltSeaShark

Normalize looks at the entire audio file and adjusts the volume so that the peaks don't exceed 0dB full scale. This is almost never what you want to do with audio. One loud cymbal strike will reduce the overall audio to lower than what you would want and a file that was overall rather quiet to something obnoxiously loud (like Moonlight Sonata over-amplified.)

A much better tool to use is the Adaptive Limiter. It can more effectively limit ("unruly") peaks by making sure they don't exceed your max dB setting. It doesn't affect any audio that doesn't exceed the limit. You can also perform something like a normalizing by adjusting the gain (incoming and outgoing for the signals).

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro-logiceffects/mac/4.0/en/finalcutprox/logiceffe ctsreference/index.html#chapter=4%26sect…

Otherwise, you can manually normalize by grabbing the volume bar in the audio in the storyline and dragging it up or down until the peaks touch the 0dB line.

Oct 18, 2014 2:05 AM in response to innocentius

There is no "normalize audio"

No, but until quite recently there used to be a normalise.

A good many other features went away in FCPX, and by popular demand, most of them have come back. Except, conspicuously, normalise - so far.

If there's a very good reason for ditching it, then I'm eager to learn - hence the thread. If, however, it's simply ignorance, sloth, or both, on the part of those in Cupertino, then I'd like to see it reinstated, please.

The present workflow of having to export audio to another DAW, normalise, and reimport is a waste of precious time - and drive space.

Oct 18, 2014 2:00 PM in response to SaltSeaShark

SaltSeaShark wrote:

There is no "normalize audio"

No, but until quite recently there used to be a normalise.

A good many other features went away in FCPX, and by popular demand, most of them have come back. Except, conspicuously, normalise - so far.

If there's a very good reason for ditching it, then I'm eager to learn - hence the thread. If, however, it's simply ignorance, sloth, or both, on the part of those in Cupertino, then I'd like to see it reinstated, please.

The present workflow of having to export audio to another DAW, normalise, and reimport is a waste of precious time - and drive space.

"Normalize" in Final Cut is the Volume control.

You can visually "normalize" your audio in FCPX... it is too simple really. Grab the volume bar in the audio and adjust it up or down until the peaks hit the level you want to normalize at. You have instant visual feedback and you don't have to guess or run the process multiple times. Any peaks that go over the 0dB mark turn yellow and any peaks that are clipped will turn red (exceed +6dB.) Final Cut gives you a +12dB boost capability (that's a lot of gain!)

You can add specific relative "boost" to audio in FCPX by selecting the clip (or setting a range), typing Control-L and then the dB offset; for example: Control-L 3 Enter/Return or Control-L -2 Enter/Return. You can set an absolute Volume adjustment with Option-Control-L and do the same. Resetting the Volume to its normal levels would be Option-Control-L 0 Enter/Return. As long as there is no red in the audio (Clipping causes audio distortion), you should be fine (although a *lot* of yellow would be very uncomfortable for most listeners.)

The Normalize function in most DAWs are a guessing game. You're presented with a dialog and you have to type in values... guesses usually. The visual adjustment is far easier, much faster and more precise. [You should set the clip height to large enough to easily see the peaks.]

You can request that Normalize be added to FCPX, if you want. Go to the Final Cut menu > Provide Final Cut Pro Feedback (but don't...)

If you simply must have it: there's always Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ (I have Logic, but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you how to use the Normalize function in the Audio Editor! I do know you can have Logic normalize audio when you bounce/save... but my mixes are usually exactly as I want them before exporting, so it's never a viable option.)

FCPX Normalize Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.