Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility from local SSD and Recovery Partition disagree

Hi,

When I run Disk Repair from my 15" MBP's SSD, I get this:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”Verifying storage systemChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group B133BE17-6899-41E8-B2B2-342B022BB2CC on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 29 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 1 newer non-checkpoint transactionLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 77248876-460F-4A19-B657-5A4CBF702894Load and verify 60268981-5213-4655-8A8A-743044EF5359Load and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume B133BE17-6899-41E8-B2B2-342B022BB2CC appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Verifying file system.Using live mode.Performing live verification.Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.Checking extents overflow file.Checking multi-linked files.Incorrect number of file hard linksChecking catalog hierarchy.Checking extended attributes file.Checking volume bitmap.Checking volume information.The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.File system check exit code is 8.Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

Then, when I run Disk Repair from the Recovery Partition, it says the disk is completely fine.

What should I do? Thanks very much!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 9:54 AM

20 replies

Oct 18, 2014 9:48 AM in response to LordPathogen

Exact same problem on 2011 MBA.

- Noticed message after Time Machine backup failed.

- Ran verify with the following results

- restarted with command+R then ran verify and repair in recovery mode with success (all fine)

- ran verify again, fails, again.

Modal message:

This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

Verify history:

Verifying partition map for “APPLE SSD SM256E Media”Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition listChecking for an EFI system partitionChecking the EFI system partition’s sizeChecking the EFI system partition’s file systemChecking all HFS data partition loader spacesChecking booter partitionsChecking booter partition disk0s3Verifying file system.Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.Checking extents overflow file.Checking catalog file.Checking multi-linked files.Checking catalog hierarchy.Checking extended attributes file.Checking volume bitmap.Checking volume information.The volume Recovery HD appears to be OK.File system check exit code is 0.Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsVerifying storage systemChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group 238CA2E7-7C17-4312-8A15-BF------ on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 29 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 6464BE20-9BFC-4291-A56F-8FCF1E09FA78Load and verify B6790A78-7D56-4264-9A62-D37D5F0ABAAALoad and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume 238CA2E7-7C17-4312-8A15-BF69A8----- appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.The partition map appears to be OK

Verifying volume “Firefly”Verifying storage systemChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group 238CA2E7-7C17-4312-8A15-BF69A82AFA9B on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 29 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 6464BE20-9BFC-4291-A56F-8FCF1E09FA78Load and verify B6790A78-7D56-4264-9A62-D37D5F0ABAAALoad and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume 238CA2E7-7C17-4312-8A15-BF69A----- appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Verifying file system.Using live mode.Performing live verification.Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.Incorrect block count for file 1768734(It should be 10022 instead of 51590)(It should be 5144 instead of 1298272)Incorrect number of file hard linksChecking catalog hierarchy.Invalid directory item count(It should be 44653 instead of 44654)Invalid directory item count(It should be 34 instead of 33)Checking extended attributes file.Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocksChecking volume information.Invalid volume free block count(It should be 31229092 instead of 29894396)File system check exit code is 8.Error: This disk needs to be repaired using the Recovery HD. Restart your computer, holding down the Command key and the R key until you see the Apple logo. When the OS X Utilities window appears, choose Disk Utility.

Nov 10, 2014 12:19 PM in response to daxelrad

Hi Daxelrad,

Thanks for replying with a possible fix.

Is that really the answer? Per Apple,

fsck is a command-line utility that may be able to verify and repair a disk. If you can successfully start up in Safe Mode or use Disk Utility while started up from a disc, you don't need to use fsck. Here are some situations in which fsck may be necessary.

• Your Mac OS X disc isn't available.
  • Your optical drive isn't available.
  • You can't start with a Safe Boot by holding the Shift key during start up.

I can boot to Safe Mode and use Disk Utility.

Did you or anyone else try this for the issue described?

Thanks again!

Nov 17, 2014 8:37 AM in response to daxelrad

I had a similar problem last night. Before I try the fsck fix, ....

I'm using a 3TB Western Digital external drive as my back up disk. It has 2 partitions -- one for time machine and one that stores old music/photos.

I started getting time machine errors last night. When I tried to eject the disc, I got an error that it could not be unmounted.

I tried running Disk Verify and Disk Repair and got similar errors. I turned everything off and unplugged the power from the WD. I turned everything on and plugged the drive in. When I ran Disk Verify, I get an error that the disk needs to be repaired. When I ran Disk Repair, I got an error that it could not be fixed and "File System Check Exit Code 8."

If I run the fsck fix noted above -- will that fix my external drive? As far as I can tell, the internal drive on my MBP is fine.

Thank you.

Disk Utility from local SSD and Recovery Partition disagree

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.