Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite fonts blurry

Just updated to Yosemite from the latest previous OSX.

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB graphics. Using an external display via HDMI port, SAMSUNG S27C570 27-inch (1920-1080). The font on the top menu bar of OSX and at the top of Safari are all blurry. In fact using this text window is not clear, there is shading on the characters which make it look blurry. I did not have this problem before I upgraded to Yosemite.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 9:42 AM

14 replies

Oct 17, 2014 11:29 AM in response to burnera

Absolutely horrible on my 10 year old 23" Cinema Display and 22" 1680x1050 Eizo. But not all of it, this text I'm writing is fine. But in Mail everything but the message list (system font) window is awful. So yes, reading messages provokes gagging. And no, not a single font works better than Helvetica, except for the system font, but I can't set that for messages. How stupid is that? The system font is also used in iTunes, except for the sidebar when visible (playlists and when an iPhone is connected).

But unfortunately the top menu font is now a washed out grey blur, including drop down menus. Also in Safari – The URLs are ok as are the favorites, but not their drop bar menus.

EDIT: Ok, didn't know LCD smoothing under General in System Preferences takes effect only after re-logging in. Much better now.

Oct 25, 2014 10:19 PM in response to burnera

Ran into a similar issue when I first got my HDMI monitor. I looks like the letters are all jagged. I did a SMC and or PRAM/NVRAM reset and that fixed. However this time around this did not work. It seems to be only affecting the HDMI connection. I connected through DVI through mini display and it works fine.

Oct 27, 2014 11:21 AM in response to burnera

Same problem here. I'm running a MacBook Air (mid-2011) and the fonts look chunky and fuzzy on the laptop. I REALLY hate it! I also notice this connected to a external monitor that always looked tack sharp to me until I upgraded to Yosemite. From a macbook air, the connection goes: thunderbolt port /mini-dvi to HDMI converter -> HDMI to monitor. All cables are the same. Only change is installing Yosemite. These fonts stink!!

Nov 7, 2014 7:03 PM in response to burnera

I use a Macbook Air 13 inch mid-2011. Fonts for the system look blurry, as previously mentioned. But, also the fonts in apps look really bad. For instance, I have an OmniOutliner template using Avenir Next Condensed. It looked fine in Mavericks; but, it looks very, very jagged in Yosemite - so much so that it is distracting. Hopefully, Apple will fix this in an update soon. As of now, I cannot recommend upgrading to Yosemite.

Dec 15, 2014 2:01 AM in response to rooob

rooob. You are an absolute legend!!!! I have the Dell U3014 Ultrasharp 30" monitor and with WIndows it looked stunning and with OSX Yosemite, it was well, Ultracrap. Blurry fonts, wrong colors, just didnt look like the crisp clear beast it should be. Followed your instructions to the tee and the display looks amazing once again.

Yosemite fonts blurry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.