Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi and Ethernet not working after Yosemite upgrade

My wife installed Yosemite on her Intel iMac last night. At the time it was working without issue. Today, the computer shows that wifi is connected and ethernet is connected, but it won't connect to the internet. Other devices that are connected to the router have no problem accessing the internet. If you run Diagnostics, it says that there is an internet connection, but mail, safari, firefox, won't connect.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

The computer in question is a:

IMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 DDR3

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 11:55 AM

33 replies

Oct 19, 2014 6:35 AM in response to ettocs

Hi there,

i was experiencing this too. I followed this procedure (Have a backup available or make one!!) :http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1756994

1. Download & Run Kext Utility
- http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/files/Kext_...app.v2.5.7.zip

2. Download & Extract
- IO80211Family.kext zip https://www.sendspace.com/file/4v4a4r

3. Let Kext Utility do its job repairing permissions, system cache, etc.. then Drag & Drop the extracted IO80211Family.kext file into the Kext Utility

4. Restart MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.

(no garanties ;-)

Regards,

Harry

Oct 20, 2014 4:27 PM in response to ettocs

About the same problems, since i update to Yosemite i am not able to connect my Imac directly to Ethernet. ( it said you are connected but no internet available)

i go to my Modem to the Router and after to my Mac with wires and i got Internet but it dont want to localise in Plans or Google Maps

i can run my ipad on Wi-fi but same problems i have internet but it wont localise me in Plans or Google Maps or other App who need to localise you

Oct 23, 2014 11:31 PM in response to ettocs

I have this problem also. I tried the kext fix.

Not only does my wifi no longer work after the Yosemite 'upgrade', but I did the kext fix by dragging IO80211Family.kext into the kext utility and an error occurred and my video is now jumpy, very distracting! I cannot use a backed up file to revert. The file never made it to the save folder or it got erased! Can anyone point me to a file I can use to reverse this mess please? I will download it on another computer and run the utility again.... please?

scott

Oct 23, 2014 11:46 PM in response to ettocs

Kind of unrelated, but my Apple TV's weren't speaking to my Mac properly (even after resolving the 1st issue of them not talking at all and having to rename the iTunes library and Mac) so I checked my Routers Firmware and there happened to be updated from about 2 months ago (I'd forgotten to check this lately)

After updating the Firmware everything ran fine.

Not updating the Firmware hadn't affected anything prior to Yosemite and Firmware update predated the OS update but for whatever reason it made a difference after the fact.

Oct 29, 2014 8:16 AM in response to ettocs

II'm having the exact same problem. On Yosemite with a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15". It sees. To randomly just stop working and essentially shuts down the computer because it seems confused. The Ethernet and wifi are working with other computers and devices (like the iPad im writing this on presently.)

The only solution I have found so far is rrestarting my Mac, but it has now happened three times, so it's clearly not a permanent fix.

Oct 30, 2014 8:51 AM in response to hsplinter

Do not go to that site and download the Kext fix, the site http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/ is loaded with malware.

I am having the same issue, "upgraded" my late 2013 MBP Retina to Yosemite and have no ethernet or WiFi access unless I continuously renew the DHCP Lease. The makes my MBP less than useless. This isn't a network issue for me, my Mavericks MPB is working just fine, Same year and model.

Looks like I will be downgrading again... 😟

Wifi and Ethernet not working after Yosemite upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.