Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie quit's unexpectedly since upgrade to 10.10

Since upgrading to OSX 10.10 from Mavericks, on a late 2012 Mac Mini (2.3 GHz i7, 4GB Ram) iMovie will now quit unexpectedly on every load after a few seconds.

It appears to be attempting to convert my iMovie Library but this process never completes and crashes before completion. The progress bar shows "Loading event ..." before unexpectedly exiting. iMovie is now unusable and (I fear) has wrecked my iMovie Library.

I have tried without success...

- Rebooting

- Moving my iMovie library so iMovie can't find it and has to load without attempting to open the library (it finds it anyway)

- Deleting ~/Libary/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp folder which makes no difference (it was advised elsewhere)

- Lamenting my choice to upgrade

Any assistance offered would be greatly appreciated.

The report log shows:

Process: iMovie [709]

Path: /Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/MacOS/iMovie

Identifier: com.apple.iMovieApp

Version: 10.0.6 (252905)

Build Info: iMovieX-25290005040000000~1

App Item ID: 408981434

App External ID: 715442672

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: iMovie [709]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2014-10-17 19:15:31.882 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10 (14A389)

Report Version: 11

Anonymous UUID: 8E2779D4-E6F7-55F3-F092-F020FAE846EC

Time Awake Since Boot: 4300 seconds

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

*** -[__NSPlaceholderArray initWithObjects:count:]: attempt to insert nil object from objects[0]

abort() called

iMovie 10, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2014 9:52 AM

Overwhelmed by responses to my question; I have actually discovered the solution. There are essentially a few fixes for 'iMovie Unexpectedly Quit' which I will detail here that may resolve a number of issues. For this specific problem the solution was FIX3. You may wish to use combinations of or all of the suggested actions taken. It's your responsibility to ensure you backup your files before modifying or deleting them.

FIX1: Delete the iMovie cache found in ~/Library/Containers/...

1. Highlight the following text: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp
  2. Right click the highlighted text and at the bottom of that dialog select Services > Reveal in Finder
  3. This will open the folder; copy this folder to your desktop or another location
  4. Go back to the finder window you copied the files from and delete* this folder (move to trash)
  5. Open iMovie

*[WARNING: Make sure you followed step 3. or iMove may not work]

FIX2: Delete the iMovie preference file com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

1. Highlight the following text: /Library/Quicktime/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist
  2. Right click the highlighted text and at the bottom of that dialog select Services > Reveal in Finder
  3. This will open the folder with the file you need selected; copy the .plist file to your desktop or another location
  4. Go back to the finder window you copied the files from and delete com.apple.iMovieApp.plist.
  5. Open iMovie

FIX3: Remove third party components from /Library/Quicktime/

1. Highlight the following text: /Library/Quicktime/
  3. This will open the folder; copy all the files to your desktop or another location
  4. Go back to the finder window you copied the files from and delete everything except AppleIntermediateCodec.component and AppleMPEG2Codec.component which are required by iMovie.
  5. Open iMovie
  6. Optional: You can then trial and error return copied components to establish what is causing the problem.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2014 9:52 AM in response to anticlimacus

Overwhelmed by responses to my question; I have actually discovered the solution. There are essentially a few fixes for 'iMovie Unexpectedly Quit' which I will detail here that may resolve a number of issues. For this specific problem the solution was FIX3. You may wish to use combinations of or all of the suggested actions taken. It's your responsibility to ensure you backup your files before modifying or deleting them.

FIX1: Delete the iMovie cache found in ~/Library/Containers/...

1. Highlight the following text: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp
  3. This will open the folder; copy this folder to your desktop or another location
  4. Go back to the finder window you copied the files from and delete* this folder (move to trash)
  5. Open iMovie

FIX2: Delete the iMovie preference file com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

1. Highlight the following text: /Library/Quicktime/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist
  3. This will open the folder with the file you need selected; copy the .plist file to your desktop or another location
  4. Go back to the finder window you copied the files from and delete com.apple.iMovieApp.plist.
  5. Open iMovie

FIX3: Remove third party components from /Library/Quicktime/

1. Highlight the following text: /Library/Quicktime/
  3. This will open the folder; copy all the files to your desktop or another location
  4. Go back to the finder window you copied the files from and delete everything except AppleIntermediateCodec.component and AppleMPEG2Codec.component which are required by iMovie.
  5. Open iMovie
  6. Optional: You can then trial and error return copied components to establish what is causing the problem.

Oct 26, 2015 9:48 PM in response to anticlimacus

I am not very talented but when I tried FIX1, did step 1 (highlighted), than step 2 (reveal in finder), step 3 I dragged the com.apple.iMovieApp to my desktop, closed the box that box and saw the the file no longer appeared in the library so I was not able to delete it. Opened iMovie and the same problem. I tried FIX2 and cannot find /library/Quicktime/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist to perform FIX2. Help please!

iMovie quit's unexpectedly since upgrade to 10.10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.