Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.6 raw reprocessing

Aperture 3.6 says it has a newer version of Apple's raw processing. When I reprocess, I see considerable differences. For example, dodge adjustments become much stronger than before. Opinions to whether the new raw processing is an improvement, anyone? Thanks.

Macbook

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 11:59 AM

15 replies

Oct 18, 2014 8:15 AM in response to PeterQQ

I tried it out on some photos from my Canon 70D. The photos were taken from a trip to Washington, DC. For indoor shots with dimly lit subjects, I notice a lot more dynamic range. Imagine grabbing the histogram from both sides and pulling really hard. Noise shows up a lot more.

I conclude that this is not an improvement. The old adjustment is labeled custom Canon 70D. So, if I need it, I can revert. All in all, I am not happy with this "improvement."

Oct 18, 2014 1:52 PM in response to PeterQQ

With OS X 10.10 Yosemite and the latest Aperture 3.6 version update (along with the Digital Camera Raw update 6.00) any of your older Raw edited original versions from Aperture 3.5.1 will need to be reprocessed if you decide to re-edit the older RAW images in vers 3.6 - this has been standard Apple operating procedure for any major Aperture upgrade. BTW, I have had no problems updating to Aperture 3.6 across multiple OS X 10.10 platforms with multiple Aperture libraries.

Oct 18, 2014 3:34 PM in response to christianfromhessen

Well, the detail bar was at the half-way mark. When I slide it to 0, there is a small improvement. Denise helps a little. As is usually the case with RAW fine tuning, it really is fine. So, I expect these results. When I switch the camera profile back to Canon 70D, there is far less blowout, and the noise is a lot less.

I just not happy with the latest RAW processing. I have never had this problem with Aperture before. Have been a user for about 7 years.

Oct 19, 2014 4:46 AM in response to Cosmicpix

So far i discovered that:

• The Detail Slider in the RAW Fine Tuning Brick works different
    • Standard for my NEF Files where 0.0 (manually set to 1.0) ist changed to 0.13
    • If set manually to 1.0 way more noise and more details so i have to find a spot around 0.55 to 0.6 to match the former Settings under 3.5.1
  • Shadows and Highlights are better

Created a Duplicate from a unedited (with older RAW Engine) NEF -> better Highlights (Histogramm does look different)

• Colors look better, especially greens, blues und magenta

compared a Picture with someone wearing a purple Jacket; that Jacket look more close to reality

NEF Files from Nikon D7100 latest Firmware (2014)

Aperture 3.6

So far i´m happy with the new RAW Engine

Oct 19, 2014 4:59 AM in response to PeterQQ

Aperture 3.6 says it has a newer version of Apple's raw processing.

In which document have you seen the reference a new RAW processing? There is nothing in the Aperture 3.6 release notes.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2518

It is probably in Yosemite release notes that I cannot find.

But the Raw processing has changed, nevertheless. All my Canon EOS 5D Mark II photos are now appearing overexposed and to the colors are much too vibrant.

Oct 19, 2014 6:54 AM in response to léonie

Hello Léonie,

this is funny because by my files the Colors are more accurate then before. Especially Red-Tones are less saturated and more like reality.

I also didn´t find any notes regarding the changes made to the Raw Processing?!

If searched for Adjustments and RAW Encoding und found that everything encoded with Aperture 3.6 is RAW Encode 6.0 while Aperture 3.5.1 used 5.0. But that´s it...

Oct 19, 2014 10:22 AM in response to léonie

Remember that the new OS X 10.10 has a new RAW Processing engine, as RAW processing also occurs at the OSX system level when importing. Again this is standard operating procedure for Apple - when they released Mavericks, that OSX also included updated RAW processing.

Open your current version of Aperture 3.6 - go to About Aperture - and you will see the info regarding your current Digital Camera RAW build 6.00 and your Digital Camera RAW Support 6000 build.

Aperture 3.6 raw reprocessing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.