Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow advance after 6.5 update

After updating to 10.10 and Keynote 6.5 my Keynote response time has dropped from instantaneous to anywhere between 5-10 seconds of lag time before either starting the slideshow or advancing the slide.

This isn't transition-timing related as certified by the duration of the transition when it does happen and that starting or Escaping out of the show also take 5-10 seconds. As a test I advanced a slide, waited 10 seconds before pressing the space bar and it still took 5-10 seconds to advance to the next slide.

I tossed out the Keynote prefs files and restarted but this did not fix the problem.

Keynote-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Keynote 6.5

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 12:28 PM

14 replies

Oct 17, 2014 1:43 PM in response to Brent Reichow1

Downgraded to 6.2.2 and everything is working normally again. Before I did that, however, I turned off all the Magic Move transitions and the slideshow played normally.

The issue revolves around Magic Move transitions and may be a direct factor on how many moves need to be made. Most of my slides use Magic Move even when nothing is actually changing between slides and when it is one word moving nowhere it is slower, but not by much. When I am using Magic Move to propel six words around the screen, it takes a very long time.

So for now, be wary of Keynote 6.5 is you rely heavily on Magic Move.

Feb 17, 2015 8:34 AM in response to Brent Reichow1

For my "slow advance" issue, I found and corrected the problem, and it had nothing to do with Keynote. I use the "iClicker" response participation system in my class, and the iClicker software runs at the same time as keynote (use it to control voting and advance slides on the presentation). The problem was that the iClicker app, after an update, was set to allow "App nap", which is what it was doing. The slow advance was the time it took to wake up (you cannot set how long until a nap occurs, or generally set that App nap is not turned on). It was an easy fix: select the application in the finder, choose "get info", then select "prevent app nap".

Guessing this isn't the issue that most folk are having, but thought I would throw it out there just in case.

Feb 18, 2015 7:53 AM in response to spartytom

I have absolutely no issues with Keynote 6.5.s, transitions and effects appear exactly when required.

The usual culprits for a slow response are:

running a number of other applications when playing Keynote

low storage space on system drive (a minimum of 20% free space is required)

not enough RAM memory installed

rubbishware applications installed such as: antivirus, malware prevention, memory cleaner, clean my mac (these are pointless and unnecessary)

Feb 26, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Brent Reichow1

I had the opportunity to run my Keynote press on a brand new 15" Retina MBP and, to my surprise, it worked flawlessly. Mind you that this behavior also presented on a late 2012 i7 Quad core Mini as well.

I'm thinking that it might be hardware related...

My problem machine isn't exactly under-powered: 13" Early 2011 MBP 2.3 i5, 8GB RAM, with 500GB SSD (250 open) and no extraneous apps running or crapware installed.

Looks like it just might be the hardware not liking 6.5.x; could be something with the GPU on the Retina but that's me thinking out loud.

Jun 11, 2015 12:39 AM in response to noeldickson

Anyone knows if this has been solved...?

This is not normal behaviour for Keynote and most users systems work perfectly so this is an issue unique to those who have posted in this discussion.

Try the following to reset Keynote, perform all the steps in the order listed:

1. Remove Keynote version 6.5, you must use an application removal tool for this procedure to work: Appcleaner is free, I use Appzapper
  2. Empty the trash
  3. Shut Down the Mac (Apple menu > Shut Down)
  4. Wait 10 seconds, then press the power button
  5. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key,
    release the Shift key when you see the grey Apple screen
    start up will take a few minutes longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair
  6. Restart the Mac normally, (don’t hold down any keys during startup)
  7. Install Keynote from the Mac App Store

Slow advance after 6.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.