Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sounds clipping at start

at 10.9.5 on mac pro (early 2009), gobs of RAM.

suddenly, some sounds are having the start clipped off. short ones (like the rush of sending mail), i don't hear at all, except for sometimes.

if i go to system prefs and the sound pane, i can hear each sound as i change alert sounds. no problem.

iTunes, no problem.

i have a custom sound for incoming mail and it starts about 25% of the way into the sound.

what could be going on?

was about to upgrade to yosemite, but not sure if i should until i resolve this.

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 12:47 PM

2 replies

May 28, 2015 9:14 AM in response to Forrest Jerome1

Recently I started having this clipping problem with Mail 7.3 alert sounds -- no other sounds. Following suggestions from an experienced person in my user group, I experimented and found that the clipping does not occur if I am playing any sound file with iTunes -- it seems even if I play an audio file that actually has no sound on it. This is true whether I use external speakers, earbuds, or external headphones connected to the headphone connector on my early 2009 mini. Could this be the result of some recent software update I installed?

sounds clipping at start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.