Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite samsung clx 3180 printer driver issue

Hello i have just installed the new OS Yosemite on a Macbook Pro.

Seems to work find beside the fact that Apple tech haven't solved the driver issue with samsung.

I am currently using a Samsung CLX 3180 printer via my wired network.

I can install properly the printer via the pref system.

I can print and send to the printer but once my document is in the cue, i keep on getting the message saying "try to find the printer".

Seems that a lot of people do have the same issue but problems hasn't been solve.

I was part of the Yosemite Beta registered user and send some feedback to Apple regarding that issue, but it is still not functioning properly.

Anyone can help or has find a solution?

Many thankfs

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 2:27 PM

13 replies

Oct 18, 2014 12:19 AM in response to John Blanchard1

Hello,

i am currently the latest driver since Yosemite recognized itself the good printer and downloaded the proper driver. So my MacBook Pro really connects to the printer.

Printer works fine via:

- USB connection

- iphone (with the samsung printer apps)

I have check and there is really no particular message in the Console...

When you click on the printer property, you're able to see the different ink levels. I am also able to access and use the scanner.

It is really the printing function that doesn't work. The document is being sent to the printer, but the printer popup box says that it is trying to connect to the printer... and finally says it can't find the printer.

I have read several posts and it seems that a lot of users do have the same issue. Samsung is not doing anything nor apple.

There are some tricks to be done, but not always working.

Still wondering is anyone has been able to fix it or to tell Apple to fix the issue.

By the way, this issue was also valid with previous version of OS X

Thanks for your help

Oct 18, 2014 11:50 AM in response to Darklykoz

No there is a general problem with Samsungs printer drivers and Cups 2.0 which is the new printing system in Yosemite. One workaround is, if you have an AirPrint enabled Samsung printer, to switch to the AirPrint driver which comes with OS X (Simply add another printer take the Bonjour printer and use the driver AirPrint instead of the Samsung drivers. This works at least for me, I even get full duplex and the toner fill status that way. So good enough not to bother with the original driver for now. However if you don't have AirPrint on your printer then you have to wait for Samsung to fix that issue. This is clearly a problem of their drivers and Linux in the future also will be affected since it also uses Cups. So the best bet is to notify Samsung about it. They are pretty quick in fixing those issues once their driver department gets the bug report (there was a similar issue with AirPrint and IOS 8 which was fixed within two weeks after they got the message by releasing a new firmware)

I would not count on Apple to fix that issue, since from their POV probably everything is alright. I am not even sure if Cups 2.0 is backwards compatible driver wise. Best bet really is to call up samsung and notify then about the issue.

Oct 18, 2014 12:03 PM in response to vincemomo

First of all you have to have an AirPrint enabled printer. What I did simply was to use system settings -> printer -> + (Add printer). Then my printer was on the list of possible printers to be added (Bonjour Printer Samsung M2875FW). Then I simply chose the driver AirPrint and that was it.

After that printing worked. My printer however needed to be on the latest Samsung firmware since this one fixed a severe AirPrint issue with IOS 8 and possibly also Yosemite.

Not sure if the Samsung clx 3180 is AirPrint enabled. If yes make sure you have upgraded to the latest firmware which should have been released around 10.10.2014.

If your printer is not an AirPrint printer, then you have to wait for Samsung to release a new driver.

Oct 18, 2014 4:35 PM in response to vincemomo

Your printer is not an AirPrint printer. If you'd like, please send me the files from /var/logs/cups and I'll see if I can find out what the problem is. (You can use /Applications/Terminal and type "open /var/logs/cups" and drag those files into an email message.) My email is jblancha@mac.com.

And just to double-check, what is the version number of the driver you are using? Thank you.

Oct 19, 2014 3:58 AM in response to John Blanchard1

Ok I have additional information, the original driver seems to work as well on my printer, it just takes very long from printing to sending the printed document to the printer with the message looking for printer (1-2 Minutes). I also checked the cups logs there is no error whatsoever.

However what definitely is broken is the fill status indicator on the driver (which works with the apple supplied drivers). So far I dont think the problem is with Cups I am still convinced the problem lies with the Samsung driver which does non standard things.

Mar 30, 2015 2:11 PM in response to Werner P.

Hello Everyone,

I am still struggling to find a solution.

I wrote to samsung support: they finally told me that there seem to be an issue with Yosemite but didn't give me any solutions.

I have tried all the above solution but so far nothing is working.

I tried from a another computer a Mac Book Air and surprisingly it did work.

When i look into the //library/printer/samsung/ folder, i don't see any CLX 3180 folder like the one i have on my current MacBook.

Does any one know how you can see which driver is the installed printer referring to?

Has anyone been able to make that 3180N printer work?

Thanks for your help

Yosemite samsung clx 3180 printer driver issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.