Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi does not connect automatically after sleep

Since installing Yosemite on my Mid 2011 iMac - when my computer wakes from sleep mode, it does not automatically connect to the wifi. I have to select the network to join from the top menu bar. Is there anyway to make it connect automatically like it use to? Thanks for any and all help!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 2:54 PM

7 replies

Oct 20, 2014 11:46 AM in response to ffmed124

Hello ffmed124,

The steps detailed below can help get your iMac to reconnect to your Wi-Fi network automatically after waking from sleep.

1. Check your TCP/IP settings in the Network pane of the System Preferences. Click the "Renew DHCP lease" button
    1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
    2. Choose Network from the View menu.
    3. Select Wi-Fi, then click the Advanced button in the lower-left hand corner of the screen.
    4. Click the TCP/IP tab from the top of the screen.
    5. Click the "Renew DHCP lease" button.

User uploaded file

2. Select the Wi-Fi tab and view your Preferred Networks list.
    1. Select each network and click the minus (-) sign to remove those networks from your Preferred Networks list.
    2. Click OK and close the Network preferences.

User uploaded file

3. Remove your stored network passwords using the Keychain Access Utility.

1. Open Keychain Access from /Applications/Utilities. Your window will look like this:

User uploaded file

2. Remove your AirPort network passwords from the login keychain: Select the "login" keychain from the Keychain sidebar. Click the "Kind" column to order the list of keychain items by their type. Remove all entries of the kind: "AirPort network password".
    3. Remove your AirPort network passwords from the System keychain: Select the "System" keychain from the Keychain sidebar. Click the "Kind" column to order the list of keychain items by their type. Remove all entries of the kind: "AirPort network password".

Note: The above steps will remove your Wi-Fi network passwords. If you do not know them, or if your network does not use passwords to restrict access, you should contact your network administrator.

4. Restart your computer.
  5. Join your Wi-Fi network. You will need to enter your password for your network again if it requires one.

Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628

Cheers,

Allen

Oct 26, 2014 2:24 PM in response to CarlAVII

I have the same problem as described by ffmed124, however I tried what you suggested Allen and that made no difference. I removed all the wifi networks, and cleared the passwords. After rejoining the wifi network (it is an airport), then sleeping and re-waking the laptop, it won't connect.

Saying it won't connect though isn't quite accurate, as it seems to connect to the airport without a problem, it just doesn't seem to get the routing information - I can pull up the airport utility and reboot/reconfigure whatever I need to, but I can't connect to the Internet (or anything other than the airport). Incidentally, all of my other computers (iPhones, iPads, older Macbook running Lion, Mac Mini on Mavericks, PVR, etc.) are connected to the same AirPort without issue - only since installing Yosemite have I suffered this problem.

I've reset the SMC and the PRAM also - to no avail. Any other suggestions gratefully received...

Oct 26, 2014 3:22 PM in response to daimoh

I too have not had any luck in correcting this problem since installing Yosemite on my Mid 2011 iMac. I still have to mouse up to the wifi signal icon in the top upper right hand side of the task bar and manually select the wifi connection I want. As "diamoh" stated, my iPhone and iPad do not seem to experience this problem. It must be a Yosemite issue.

Nov 2, 2014 1:36 AM in response to ffmed124

I worked out that not only was it my WiFi, but my network connection also - the only way to get them to work after waking from sleep was to reboot. Even worse, if you pulled the network cable out, then plugged it back in, it didn't work.

In the end (with incessant Googling and the fact this obviously isn't a unique problem, I came across http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/the-worst-bugs-in-os-x-yosemite-and-how-to-fix-the m-1652690924

On that page, among other things, it tells you to clear your network setting files. I tried as per Allen's post above (to no effect), but this worked/fixed it all for me (from http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/25/fix-wi-fi-problems-os-x-yosemite/):

deleting all of:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist

com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist

NetworkInterfaces.plist

preferences.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Full instructions at osxdaily as above - do at your own risk, etc., etc.

Good luck!

Wifi does not connect automatically after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.