Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ways to make competitive with Dropbox

There's a few questions here but mostly comments. First of all, thanks for the iCloud Drive update. I'd like to make iCloud Drive my main cloud storage solution. However, before I can do that there are three things that need to be changed to make it nearly perfect:

1) Ability to share files/folders via a link (similar to Dropbox) and allow specific people to be invited. Also, allowing the link to be phased out after a certain period of time or by a specific date would be great. I can do this on my Synology NAS and Dropbox already.

2) Improve Maildrop: If I am sending a file that is already on my iCloud Drive, then why do I have to wait until a new one gets uploaded? Can't it just link to the file that's already on there? Also, where does it get uploaded? There should be an email attachment folder or something accessible on iCloud Drive. What if I want to send that same file to a different person; do I have to upload that same file again?

3) Improve icloud.com website: You can't drag and drop. Moving files around is much nicer in Dropbox. For how well-designed Yosemite is, the website feels old and slow...needs overhaul with HTML5 and javascript. I also would like to use my iCloud email more often, however, the web interface is horrible. I should be able to pick attachments to send on the web version of email that are already on the cloud. From a bandwidth and time standpoint it seems stupid to have to re-upload a large file in order to attach it if it is already stored online.

4) Improve integration of components on iCloud website: I just emailed myself a message with a name of a restaurant and a date and time. It should at least allow you to quickly add that event to your calendar or look up the restaurant's address from within the web email interface.

Thanks for reading! iCloud Drive is off to a great start. Also, is there any other forum where I could post these comments?

Scott

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 2:45 PM

1 reply

Ways to make competitive with Dropbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.