Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite upgrade, now this "Device or computer could not be verified"

What the ****??

My upgrade to Yosemite on my MacPro (which meets the minimum requirements for install) has been a complete nightmare. After crashing during install, I finally had to erase my primary hard drive and install Yosemite with my desktop hooked up to my laptop in Target Disk Mode.

Now that I have it installed and restored from my Time Machine Back Up, I am getting this error from the Apple Store:

"Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

I checked my iCloud information in System Preferences and I'm still logged in. I attempted to verify my account in in the preferences and it accepted my password but then did nothing. I attempted to log out from iCloud (deleting all my information from my computer) and it puttered out failing to completely log me out because of some issue with Mail. After taking care of those issues, I attempted to sign into my iCloud account in System Prefs and got the error message:

"You can't sign in at this time. Try signing in again."

Perplexed, I attempted to sign in to iCloud via Safari. No problem - my Apple ID & Password both worked - so now I know that my information is correct. I checked every setting under the "My Apple ID" (applied.apple.com) and double checked every bit of information there and every thing checks out.

WHY AM I HAVING THIS PROBLEM AND HOW DO I FIX IT NOW?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 2:37 PM

2 replies

Oct 17, 2014 3:53 PM in response to manolo

So here's a quick update.

Finally got through to someone via Support Chat. Essentially, they surmise that the issue is that my computer installed the wrong support files since I was installing it to a hard drive via target disk mode. In other words, the files that were installed on to my Mac Pro were actually those of my MacBOOK Pro leading my computer to have one **** of an identity crisis.

Their proposed fixed was to shut down, boot up to the internet recovery module (⌘ R at start up), use the disk utility to erase my drive (again), then use the same tool to re-install Yosemite (10.1). Well, guess what, this doesn't work either. After erasing my drive (AGAIN!!!), I tried to reinstall, but got the error message:

"This is not a supported method of installing the operating system." (then why the **** was this method created in the first place?)

I tried to reboot from an install USB drive, but the system no longer seems to support the "boot from usb" anymore, because the system fails with each attempt.

User uploaded file

Not really sure what the **** to do now.

Oct 17, 2014 5:35 PM in response to manolo

Next update: Every attempt to install yosemite on my primary drive has failed. Worse is that now my private drive appears to be PERMANENTLY CORRUPTED. I have tried with every possible Disk Utility available to erase the drive (as instructed to do by Apple Support) and now I'm left with a drive that cannot even be reformatted. I have 3 invalid disk labels/check-sum errors. I cannot clear the drive even if I tried.

I attempted to create a partition and was successful, but now Disk Utility won't let me delete the partition(s) and have just 1 drive.

Yosemite has messed me up in ways I never thought possible.

My 4TB SSHD is corrupted and trashed.

My MacPro is now completely useless and worthless.

Thanks Yosemite!

Yosemite upgrade, now this "Device or computer could not be verified"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.