Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime video dropping, due to "poor connection"

Hi all,

With both my MacBook Air and my iPad mini connected over WiFi on a 20Mbps down / 20Mbps Up connection, I'm running into problems with FaceTime. For the first ~10s after picking up both parties can see and hear each other fine. Then after this time my video drops, the other person sees "Poor connection, video will resume when connection has improved", at this point while still on the call I can check my speed and still get a solid 20Mbps up. I contacted my internet provider tonight who says that they can find no indications of problems in my connection history and confirmed that they do not block or filter any ports. FaceTime, however worked fine here last year, and the IP say they haven't changed anything other than increase the speed from 10Mbps to 20Mbps.

I tried changing my DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 along with the search domain to .local but no luck. I have tried connecting at different locations in the WiFi area with no luck (always have good signal). I am starting to think that the problem may not be on my end but on my parent's. Their connection is a decent 12 Down / 2 Up and I never have any problem receiving their video stream, but I'm running out of ideas. Skype works but the quality isn't as good as FT.

Any ideas you have would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 5:48 AM

I have been facing the same problem, and now my camera ins't working anymore.

9 replies

Oct 18, 2014 6:29 AM in response to Oldconnaught

Well, I just tried an experiment where I FaceTimed myself from my mac to my iPad (mute the pics to avoid screeching feedback!). Picture quality has been great on both ends, maybe it's a downstream problem on the other end, even though there should be plenty of bandwidth...

Does FaceTime drop down to a LAN protocol if it sees two devices on the same network? I wouldn't expect it too as that is a ridiculously rare usage scenario, but it may well do so.

Oct 19, 2014 9:10 PM in response to Goobley

I'm having the same problem exactly, when first connect its fine, after about 30 seconds I always get no video, poor connection then it may come back for a few seconds and gone again. The other person see's me fine. They are on iPad and I'm on macbook and or iPhone. We never had this problem until we both upgraded to IOS 8.02. Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 16, 2015 6:35 PM in response to Goobley

YEp exactly the same.

ipad australia to ipad uk

both devices on good connections.

always get video both ways for about 30 secs then video stream FROM UK drops out due to 'bad connection' and audio for rest of call.

video TO UK good and last entire session

skype works perfectly all the time over same links

really frustrating and no real capability to diagnose with this apple stuff due to lack of logs/diagnostics etc.

i Have spent 25+ years in IT and would lOve to help Apple diagnose this to help my i laws get reliable connections - but no way I know of to do that?

both devices running IOS8.x at both ends......it was fine until IOS8 .............

Feb 8, 2015 12:06 PM in response to Goobley

My mom has a 1st Gen iPad Mini. She calls my aunt in Mexico numerous times a week. Until recently, she's noticed that when she makes the call, same thing, my aunt will have an image of my mom no problem, but the image of my aunt cuts out after 20 seconds and never comes back. We've restored the iPad twice and still no fix. Took it to the Apple store where they did a diagnostic on it and found nothing. It'd be nice if someone from Apple forums could help out.

Nov 10, 2015 6:28 AM in response to kennedian-mu

Having the same problem, and will try that (DNS change) the OpenDNS IP addy's may help also. BTW; The starter of this thread, Goobley, said that he/she had already tried the DNS change and it hadn't helped.

Some work networks (like mine - I work at a University) force network users to employ their own DNS, to prevent DNS based attacks. So that won't work there either.

Anyone have other suggestions for this?

FaceTime video dropping, due to "poor connection"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.