Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows 8 does not recognise Macintosh HD, No drive Letter

I re partitioned my mac drive using Yosemite before doing a clean install. and After I installed Windows 8.1 on Boot Camp.

My problem is Windows does not see Macintosh yet Disk Management can see the partition but no drive letter and cannot assign drive letter.

I have File Vault turned off.

Please Advise, Regards

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:14 PM

Yosemite logical volumes cannot be read on Windows bootcamp anymore since they are not HFS+ volumes but they are now CoreStorage. Till Bootcamp is updated with drivers to allow read access to CoreStorage HFS+, you have lost functionality by upgrading to Yosemite. 😟.

You can verify this on the OS X side by running diskutil cs list in OS X terminal. If it returns any output, Windows cannot read such volumes.

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2014 7:14 PM in response to Community User

Yosemite logical volumes cannot be read on Windows bootcamp anymore since they are not HFS+ volumes but they are now CoreStorage. Till Bootcamp is updated with drivers to allow read access to CoreStorage HFS+, you have lost functionality by upgrading to Yosemite. 😟.

You can verify this on the OS X side by running diskutil cs list in OS X terminal. If it returns any output, Windows cannot read such volumes.

Oct 18, 2014 3:17 AM in response to Loner T

IS Corestorage better than Hfs+ in anyway ?, Can I still re partition the hard disk with Mavericks and get back Hfs+ ?

Oct 18, 2014 4:22 AM in response to Rudegar

That is because you upgraded your Mavericks installation and did not re partition the HD, But if you partition using Yosemite you will not see the Mac partition in windows.

Oct 18, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Loner T

Yes I was able to run diskutil cs list on my mac and it did indicate that it was using Core Storage.

I re partitioned my mac again using Maverics and re intalled Yosemite on the Hfs+ partition ok.

Best Regards

Oct 29, 2014 9:42 PM in response to Loner T

Confirmed. After installing 10.10, standard unencrypted HFS+ volumes are converted to CoreStorage LV's just like when enabling FileVault 2 except that the Logical Volume Family isn't flagged with encryption enabled. Since a CoreStorage LV is a variation of a file system (it's a logical volume manager) it has it's own on disk format. So until there's a Windows driver, it can't be read from Windows.

For any Linux users out there, note that you can't read this format either. Basically it's like we have a new file system and nothing outside of OS X can currently read it.

Oct 29, 2014 9:57 PM in response to Community User

man diskutil

Spacebar to scroll down until you get to the CoreStorage section and then read. It's a chunk, but basically Core Storage is a logical volume manager, except unlike LVM/LVM2 on linux, this is apparently not open source. I'm not finding anything about it in Darwin/xnu. There's simply no way to by pass this, it's basically a file system on a file system (not technically correct but metaphorically correct), so the underlying "filesystem" or the metadata on each physical volume must be understood by some code to know how to assemble the PV's into LVG's and then LV's in order to even see the HFS+ volume to mount.

There appears to be a command 'diskutil cs revert' which should convert it from Core Storage back to a plain partition with HFS+ on it. I haven't tested this. There shouldn't be a negative consequence of it, but definitely have backups first. At this point the installer does not give us a choice, it will convert a plain partition HFS+ (non encrypted with FileVault 2) to a Core Storage volume which thus far isn't readable on Windows.

Oct 29, 2014 10:00 PM in response to Community User

Hmm I'm not following the exact steps you took to avoid the convertion. I had a single partition OS X 10.9.5 installation (which of course has 3 partitions on disk), upgraded to 10.10 via the App Store, nothing special at all. And in the course of that upgrade, the HFS+ volume was converted to a Core Storage volume. I had no say in the matter, and no way to prevent it.

Oct 29, 2014 10:06 PM in response to Loner T

HFS (Mac OS Standard) and HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) are support by the linux kernel natively for read/write. HFSJ/HFSX (case-insensitive and case-sensivie, journaled) are supported by the linux kernel natively for read only. Near as I can tell there's simply no documentation on Core Storage anywhere, and I've been digging around very lightly in Darwin/xnu and can't find anything related to Core Storage there either, unlike HFS/HFS+. So I don't see how we get support for Core Storage in the linux kernel without a GPL2 compatible licensing of Core Storage. Someone could reverse engineer it and offer it out of tree of course, but that's trouble of its own.

windows 8 does not recognise Macintosh HD, No drive Letter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.