Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Post iTunes Upgrade Questions like why is the icon red and other troubles...

I just upgraded (if you can call it that) to iTunes 12.0.1.26

Questions:

1. Why is my iTunes icon in my dock now red? Did Apple change it from blue to red? If so, why? Can I get the blue icon back? The red one makes me think something is wrong that I need to fix

2. What happened to the navigation side bar that showed all my play lists? Can I get it back?

3. Where did the cool cover browser go to? Can I get it back?

4. Rhetorical question: Why does Apple, and every other software company mess up a product that doesn't need fixing? Why make me re-learn how to use a product with every friggin' release and upgrade? Sheesh! It was working fine. I liked it! Don't make me have to GO BACK TO SCHOOL and waste time to learn how to do stuff that I already knew how to do. The point of a program is to use it to DO STUFF! The point of a program should not be to "show how cool I can be because I'm a software wizard!

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), itunes version 12.0.1.26

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 2:54 PM

48 replies

Oct 21, 2014 4:39 AM in response to TxCowboyDancer

Not only do I not like the red icon for iTunes, I also do not like any of the recent changes. I'm sure it has mostly to do with making iTunes more responsive for mobile devices, but these are such unwelcome changes that I find I'm using iTunes less and less. Today, I removed the iTunes icon from my dock so I don't have to look at it anymore.

Oct 21, 2014 9:51 AM in response to TxCowboyDancer

The problem with providing feedback to Apple, as someone has already mentioned, is that these are a whole new set of decision makers who do not have the same sensibilities regarding consumer's use of their products as the company once had. I have a whole group of friends who will not upgrade to Mavericks because of how it destroyed the ease of use of many of their most oft used functions - adding an email senders email address to your address book, for example. When a company begins to erode the primary reason people were drawn to their products in the first place -- ease of use -- this is a sea change in corporate decision making that user feedback cannot change.

Oct 21, 2014 10:20 AM in response to TxCowboyDancer

Questions:

1. Why is my iTunes icon in my dock now red? Did Apple change it from blue to red? If so, why? Can I get the blue icon back? The red one makes me think something is wrong that I need to fix

Answer: They've changed the icon in iOS to red and now they did the same think to the icon in OS X. It's ugly. And yes you can change any icon you like. Just use google and you'll find changing icons on the mac explained many time.

2. What happened to the navigation side bar that showed all my play lists? Can I get it back?

Answer: just press the playlists button in the middle of the white top bar and your side bar will show.

3. Where did the cool cover browser go to? Can I get it back?

Answer: Gone since iTunes 11. No, we won't get it back.

4. Rhetorical question: Why does Apple, and every other software company mess up a product that doesn't need fixing? Why make me re-learn how to use a product with every friggin' release and upgrade? Sheesh! It was working fine. I liked it! Don't make me have to GO BACK TO SCHOOL and waste time to learn how to do stuff that I already knew how to do. The point of a program is to use it to DO STUFF! The point of a program should not be to "show how cool I can be because I'm a software wizard!

Rhetorical Answer: I tend to agree, and I tend to disagree. The ultimate rule for engineers is "don't fix what isn't broken". If you do that anyway people will see this as "change just for the sake of change". That's annoying and produces unnecessary learning-curves. So that's where we agree.

One of the effects of the present change is that a part of the sidebar has moved to the upper white bar, as shown in the picture below:

User uploaded file

The result is I don't have to scroll down to my playlists in the sidebar anymore if I want to add or change anything in those playlists. The playlist are always right next to the library-screen. That's improvement and not "change for the sake of change".

On the right of the white top bar iTunes 12 presents al selection-option in one menu right in the main screen. You don't have to go to the menu at the top of you desktop to make your choices for columns and filters. That's good, that is, if it would work properly. Selecting columns is not working properly yet IMHO. If you add or deselect one column the menu will be closed right away. In iTunes 11 you could add and deselect multiple columns at once. It would close when you were done. That makes more sense. If they fix that, the new way is improvement and not "change for the sake of change". So on those part I disagree with you.

Oct 21, 2014 10:30 AM in response to TxCowboyDancer

I did a web search and found that you can change the icon for any app or folder in MAC

Here is the step by step instructions: Mac Basics: Icons represent the files on your computer

I did an Internet search on Google for "ITunes Icon" and found an iTunes icon that I liked. I actually did not go back to the basic blue but I did get rid of that awful red icon!!!!!

Oct 21, 2014 6:06 PM in response to TxCowboyDancer

I don't get why people care so much about a stupid red icon, yeah i like the one before better but thats just because my favorite color is blue doesn't faze me that its red because i don't see it any way because i have my dock hidden, it doesn't make me think something is wrong because since when has a whole icon changed color when something is wrong, and iTunes looks so much nicer now its clean and organized easy to navigate only a moron couldn't figure it out seams how they really didn't change that much from iTunes 11.

Oct 22, 2014 6:17 AM in response to della corwin

I've used Apple feedback several times, most recently with iTunes 11 (hung constantly and always had to be forced down) and now 12 (I hate every single thing about it). They have never responded with even a form reply. Considering the really buggy and bad updates and upgrades they've perpetrated recently, it's very obvious the customer has been thrown out of the equation altogether.

Post iTunes Upgrade Questions like why is the icon red and other troubles...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.