Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are documents 5.2 compatible with 5.5?

Simple question!

I have this big doc like a book full of tables and images.

Is it fully compatible with pages 5.5?

If not is there a way to open it with pages 5.2 ? Does the update uninstall the previous version ? (as it was possibile with 4.3...)

Thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 3:34 PM

Apparently 5.5 will open 5.2 but not the other way around. 5.5 overrides 5.2. You should backup before installing. A couple of people have mentioned new bugs with 5.5.

13 replies

Oct 20, 2014 2:24 PM in response to machinex

I created a pages document in Yosemite 5.5, took it to work and could not open it with 5.2.2 on mavericks. This specific software requirement is absurd. There is no upgrade for Mavericks, it just says "You need a newer version of Pages to open this document"

Apple is forcing an upgrade, but their track record for buggy releases is delaying many. I also need to go back to Mavericks on my Macbook Pro.

Dec 13, 2014 7:40 AM in response to miketheslummy

By default, and a change from Pages v5.5, is that Pages v5.5.1 now defaults to writing what Apple refers to as a Single File format — which is compatible with non-Apple Mail and storage systems. It is essentially a compressed Pages v5.5.1 folder that has been renamed to look like a Pages document. This Single File format is not backwards compatible with Pages v5.2.2 on Mavericks, and probably not with earlier Pages v5 versions.

In Pages v5.5.1 on Yosemite, Apple has added some menu substructure that enables the user to convert Single File format documents into the traditional Package (folder) format that is backwards compatible with Pages v5.2.2 on Mavericks. Tested.

Because Pages v5.5.1 templates are in Single File document format (a departure from earlier Pages v5 templates), you must first generate a document in this format. Once saved, you can then use the following menu sequence, followed by a save operation, to convert the Single File format into the Package format.

Pages > File > Advanced > Change File Type > Package

If you open a Pages v5.2.2 document in Pages v5.5.1, make an edit, and save, it is written as a Single File format document, and not in the original Package format it was opened in.

Jan 22, 2015 7:00 PM in response to applefans

You're mistaken, applefans. It is very much true that files created in Pages 5.5.x are incompatible with Pages 5.2.x. I have this issue and I have yet to read anyone here or elsewhere who doesn't.

As you said yourself, to use files created in Pages 5.5 in Page 5.2, you first need to convert the file's format on the machine that has Pages 5.5. That means they're incompatible by default, and apparently you have to extra steps every time you save a new document if you want to force compatibility with the previous version of Pages (for example, my laptop has Yosemite but my work computer has Mavericks).

Thank you VikingOSX for explaining the situation and a work-around (as well as another thread: Possible to downgrade to Pages 5.2?)

It's unacceptable that Pages 5.2, only a few months old, can't open native Pages 5.5 files. Who would think going from 5.2 to 5.5 would break compatibility? People on Mavericks should at least be able to update to Pages 5.5 so they can open the files.

On another website, I also saw someone suggest opening the file on icloud.com on the machine that has Mavericks / Pages 5.2.x. Haven't tried it yet myself, but it makes sense that this should work to at least be able to access a file that otherwise won't open at all on Mavericks.

Jan 22, 2015 7:04 PM in response to autrefois

autrefois wrote:

It's unacceptable that Pages 5.2, only a few months old, can't open native Pages 5.5 files. Who would think going from 5.2 to 5.5 would break compatibility? People on Mavericks should at least be able to update to Pages 5.5 so they can open the files.

Look forward to more of the same if you continue to use Pages 5 of any description.

Unusable is the new black at Apple.

Rate/Review Pages 5.5.2 in the App Store.

Peter

Are documents 5.2 compatible with 5.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.