Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rMBP doesn't boot from USB

Hi there,

I have a very unusual and bizzarre problem here.

My MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X 10.9.5 , doesn't boot from USB stick or DVD (using USB SuperDrive).

I have create a bootable USB stick (and DVD) to install Yosemite, following the multiple online guide but despite the USB is perfect (I recreated multiple times and tested) it doesn't boot at all from USB, pressing Option it presents only Internatl HardDsik and Recover (from Mavericks).

I tried my USB from another MBP 13" (not retina) and it works fine.

More bizzarre, I did a clone of my HD using SuperDuper and I can boot from that disk.

So at this stage :

I proved that USB sticks work fine (my other MBP 13" 10.9.5 , shows it when I press ALT during the boot phase)

I proved that my USB ports works fine because I can boot from the close I have created with SuperDuper

I guess is a problem of boot files so I have upgraded to Yosemite (nice I like it) and tried to create again the bootable USB stick and again it work fine on MBP 13" no retina but it doesn't work at all on my MBP retina !

Browsing on Internet I have found an article on a blog where the author was telling that on rMBP there was another version of Mavericks to install not taken by Apple Store but downloadable from a URL...I didn't go deep on that article but it seems really that something could be true.

I would like do a fresh new installation of Yosemite without looking for this "unknown" Mavericks version just to create a new bootable USB and reinstall...and in any I am not able to find that article :-(

Anyone has any idea ?

Many thanks in advance for your help

BR

Paolo

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 5:14 PM

7 replies

Oct 18, 2014 12:58 AM in response to paolomasera

I have tried the reset (SMC and PRAM) but nothing change. I don't really understand what's wrong. I have always upgraded it with all the updates released.

It seems really that it could be an EFI problem but I don't find any solution

Here my rMBP details :

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B05

SMC Version (system): 2.3f36

Boot ROM Version: MBP Any ideas will help, it is impossible that it can't boot from any devices on USB except from external HD cloned with SuperDuper

Oct 18, 2014 8:50 AM in response to paolomasera

From EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs , you are up to date.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

MacBookPro10,1

MBP101.00EE.B02 (EFI 1.0)

2.3f36 (SMC 1.2)

Can you plug in the USB that does not work and post a screen shot of About This Mac -> More Info -> System Report -> USB where the device is plugged in?

Do you have Mavericks and Yosemite both on the same machine as two separate installation, or did you upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite?

Oct 18, 2014 9:48 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner,

I have tried using an USB stick not USB 3.0 and it worked and I have just finished to migrate my old data from my SuperDuper clone to the fresh Yosemite installation.

I will try now to boot form the USB 3.0 stick I have and see.

Attached the requested screenshot

User uploaded file

I tested : Mavericks fist and after upgraded on the same machine and now I am going to test with the fresh new installation

Thanks !

Oct 18, 2014 9:56 AM in response to paolomasera

ok as promised I have tested USB 3.0 stick with the new fresh Yosemite installation and.... nothing change !

USB 3.0 doesn't work on my rMBP where instead older/slower USB stick is recognized and I can boot from there.

Additionally to make this more bizzarre is that I can boot from my SuperDuper disk (WD Passport USB 3.0 and 2.0)....

My idea is that this EFI on they rMBP mid 2012 has something that doesn't work at all with USB 3.0, I can use pure USB 3.0 but I can boot !

SuperDrive USB I guess is only 3.0 standard so why my rMBP doesn't boot from it as well.

rMBP doesn't boot from USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.