Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not make outgoing calls on my iPhone 6

i can receive calls but can not make outgoing calls. I can also send and receive texts. R

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.0.2, I can send and receive texts

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 6:37 PM

32 replies

Oct 20, 2014 2:16 PM in response to Veardmotorcraft

Hello Veardmotorcraft,

The steps detailed below can help restore your iPhone's ability to place phone calls.

1. Toggle airplane mode: Tap Settings > Enable Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn off airplane mode.
  2. Check your phone settings:
  3. Ensure that your software is up to date:
    1. Check for a carrier settings update.
    2. Check for an iOS software update.
      Note:
      Some updates may require a Wi-Fi connection.
  4. If the iPhone has a SIM card, reseat the SIM card.
  5. If the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s is on the Verizon network, dial *228 from the iPhone and select option 2 to update the Preferred Roaming List (PRL). The PRL determines the cellular towers the phone uses for cellular service, selecting those with the best signal strength.
  6. Reset the network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  7. Try to make or receive calls in another location.
  8. Attempt to isolate to one network band:
    • If you're having the issue on LTE, disable LTE, if possible, and try again.
    • If you're having the issue on 3G/4G, disable 3G/4G, if possible, and try again.
  9. Contact the carrier to check the following:
    • Your account is properly configured to use the specific iPhone that has the issue.
    • There are no localized service outages.
    • Your account doesn't have a billing-related block.
    • Your calls don't have errors on the carrier system.
  10. Restore the phone as new.

If the above steps don't resolve the issue, go to an Apple Retail Store, carrier, Apple Authorized Reseller, or contact AppleCare to send the phone in for service.

iPhone: Troubleshooting issues making or receiving calls
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3406

Cheers,

Allen

Apr 4, 2016 5:49 AM in response to varuntyagi

I've been frustrated with this problem. Airtel (carrier) couldn't help me. Just now I tried all the steps mentioned by Allen. It didn't work. But nevertheless, thanks Allen. Then I looked at what Varun had mentioned. I thought it can't be that easy. But! Phew! it worked. Thanks a lot Varun. You are my rockstar! keep up the good work Apple community

May 8, 2016 9:42 PM in response to RG FL

#31# worked for me. Before the #31# fix, what was unusual is, I could receive calls and I could FaceTime, but I could not call out. When attempting to call out I would immediately get the message "Call Failed" with options to Cancel or Call Back. Call Back immediately would result in an instantaneous "Call Failed". I went to the Apple Store and diagnostics didn't show anything other then a failed sim card when the sim card was inserted in another phone. So I went to Verizon and they replaced the sim card and the next day the problem returned. The phone had started working on its own when I went to the Apple Store. It was almost like walking into the Apple Store fixed the phone, but the problem returned the next day.

varuntyagi's post said *#31# was the fix, but the *was unnecessary for me and in fact caused the fix to fail. #31# worked.

Than you Varuntyagi.

May 16, 2016 10:57 AM in response to ryder

Shutting the phone on and off, or doing what is called a reset did not help. If you look at my May 8th post I had put a new sim card in and even had the Apple Store run a diagnostics on my phone, yet the problem persisted. The *#31# worked once for me, but the problem returned the next day and the *#31# stopped working for me. Doing steps 1 & 2 of Allen A's post did however work for me and the problem has not returned since. I'm beginning to wonder if this wasn't connected to my Apple Watch which after turning Airplane mode on and off on my iPhone 6, I found that my Apple Watch was in Airplane Mode. I switched that off and have not had any problems calling out since. I will report if the problem returns.

I can not make outgoing calls on my iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.