Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get access to my old library after upgrade to 3.6

I was using Aperture 3.4.5 before Yosemite because my photo library is on external storage and I didn't bother to upgrade it. When Aperture 3.5 came I just ignored it.

But now Aperture 3.4.5 cannot run on Yosemite so I had to upgrade to 3.6 a few hours ago. Now I'm running Aperture 3.6 on my Mac. But, when I tried to get access to my old Aperture Library on the external storage, I can't, because the file system is not compatible. Usually the app will tell me to upgrade my library to the latest version, but this time it doesn't. It simply tells me the file system of the library’s volume is not supported. I CANNOT UPGRADE IT.

This whole thing is driving me mad. I have 200G photos in that library.

I hope someone can tell me what to do.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:10 PM

So, I was having the exact same issue... I'm guessing that you had purchased aperture on a disc (how old fashioned... oddly back when i bought aperture 2 for $300 and the upgrade for another $100 that was the only way to do it). Here's how I managed to get around the issue (mind you it's not quick, but it works... at least it did for me)

- Download the latest version of OSX (prior to Yosemite) that you can from the App Store (once it downloads it will tell you it can't install, that's ok, we just need the installer)

- Download and install VMWare Fusion from www.vmware.com (they have a free thirty day trial).

- Once VMWare is installed, it will open up a wizard for creating a new Virtual Machine. Choose "Install from a Disc or Image" and then in the next screen, choose "Use another disc or image" at the bottom of the screen, then navigate to the "Install OS X Mavericks" which is now in your Applications folder.

- Once you have chosen this and clicked next through the next few wizard screens (asking where you will place the VM, etc) you will begin the MAC install on the Virtual Machine which takes about 30 mins or so. Once it is up I logged in with my apple id that I am using on my main machine (we are trying to map our aperture license to our apple id)

- Go grab a coffee, beer, glass of whiskey and wait.

- Once the install is complete and you are up and running on your Virtual Machine with Mavericks (which is the version i installed, but previous versions may work as well), now it is time to install Aperture on your Virtual Machine... You may have to map your CD drive with the installation media to the VM... Go to the Virtual Machine Menu, then select CD/DVD and then "Connect CD/DVD".

- Once Aperture is installed on your virtual machine, now go to the app store in the VM... Aperture won't be listed as an application to update "surprise", but if you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a link for Incompatible software, click it and Aperture will show up... Now click Aperture in that list and it should bring you to the Aperture product page... on this page click "Update". It will then tell you that 3.6 is not available to run on your operating system, but it can install the latest possible version of the application. Confirm this and let it update.

- I opened aperture on the VM, but not sure that this is necessary.

- On your Yosemite installation, now go to the updates in the App Store and attempt to update Aperture... once I had updated the Aperture on my Virtual Machine, I was now magically able to update the Aperture on my Yosemite installation and it works (at first the icon on my tray didn't update, but clicking on it brought Aperture back up again!)

I hope this helps... this really put a scare in me last night and I've been trying to find a solution... I didn't want to roll back to a prior version of OSX just because I couldn't access my 500+GB of photos :-)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2014 8:10 PM in response to Reinhard_Yan

So, I was having the exact same issue... I'm guessing that you had purchased aperture on a disc (how old fashioned... oddly back when i bought aperture 2 for $300 and the upgrade for another $100 that was the only way to do it). Here's how I managed to get around the issue (mind you it's not quick, but it works... at least it did for me)

- Download the latest version of OSX (prior to Yosemite) that you can from the App Store (once it downloads it will tell you it can't install, that's ok, we just need the installer)

- Download and install VMWare Fusion from www.vmware.com (they have a free thirty day trial).

- Once VMWare is installed, it will open up a wizard for creating a new Virtual Machine. Choose "Install from a Disc or Image" and then in the next screen, choose "Use another disc or image" at the bottom of the screen, then navigate to the "Install OS X Mavericks" which is now in your Applications folder.

- Once you have chosen this and clicked next through the next few wizard screens (asking where you will place the VM, etc) you will begin the MAC install on the Virtual Machine which takes about 30 mins or so. Once it is up I logged in with my apple id that I am using on my main machine (we are trying to map our aperture license to our apple id)

- Go grab a coffee, beer, glass of whiskey and wait.

- Once the install is complete and you are up and running on your Virtual Machine with Mavericks (which is the version i installed, but previous versions may work as well), now it is time to install Aperture on your Virtual Machine... You may have to map your CD drive with the installation media to the VM... Go to the Virtual Machine Menu, then select CD/DVD and then "Connect CD/DVD".

- Once Aperture is installed on your virtual machine, now go to the app store in the VM... Aperture won't be listed as an application to update "surprise", but if you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a link for Incompatible software, click it and Aperture will show up... Now click Aperture in that list and it should bring you to the Aperture product page... on this page click "Update". It will then tell you that 3.6 is not available to run on your operating system, but it can install the latest possible version of the application. Confirm this and let it update.

- I opened aperture on the VM, but not sure that this is necessary.

- On your Yosemite installation, now go to the updates in the App Store and attempt to update Aperture... once I had updated the Aperture on my Virtual Machine, I was now magically able to update the Aperture on my Yosemite installation and it works (at first the icon on my tray didn't update, but clicking on it brought Aperture back up again!)

I hope this helps... this really put a scare in me last night and I've been trying to find a solution... I didn't want to roll back to a prior version of OSX just because I couldn't access my 500+GB of photos :-)

Oct 17, 2014 11:04 PM in response to Reinhard_Yan

But, when I tried to get access to my old Aperture Library on the external storage, I can't, because the file system is not compatible. Usually the app will tell me to upgrade my library to the latest version, but this time it doesn't. It simply tells me the file system of the library’s volume is not supported. I CANNOT UPGRADE IT.

What is the file system of your external drive? Is it formatted correctly?

Aperture versions before 3.5 did not check the file system for compatibiliy, but the newer versions do. If the drive with your Aperture library is not formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) , move our Aperture library to a correctly formatted drive. If you are keeping the library on an incorrectly formatted volume you are risking data loss.

See these support documents:

Can't get access to my old library after upgrade to 3.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.