Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot clear history without clearing cookies with Safari 8.0

I have the new Safari 8.0 with OS X Yosemite. I can not clear history without also clearing cookies. With Maverick it was possible to clear history and keep cookies, not now. This is NOT an improvement! Is there a way to keep cookies and clear history?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:01 PM

49 replies

Oct 22, 2014 7:26 AM in response to john mfromgilbert

Just upgraded imac from Mavericks to Yosemite. I like my safari history to delete every time I close safari but it's also deleting all cookies I.e. Pandora and also resetting all my settings back I.e making my screensaver default to National Geographic and not staying on my IPhoto screensaver. Not happy with this all or nothing setting in Yosemite in fact it's just another Apple update like IOS8 that has messed up my products. Any advice?

Oct 24, 2014 6:52 PM in response to Scbrice

this is absolutely the worst period of apple I've ever experienced. and I've worked with them since apple iic.

iOS 8 made my working phone a wreck, and then they take down the option to (downgrade) fix it.

yosemite has left with me a computer that cannot do anything. bluetooth is broken and causes audio delay.

there is constant video delay cause of system wide slow down. my system cache is overflowing constantly

since upgrading, i am continously throwing away trash just to keep the system working.

no mail notifications so i have to leave the mail program open all the time which also causes system slowdown.

this is the worst heap of junk they ever "sold" on us. i had working machines, after i did what they said would be fine i now have 2 piles of wasted money.

Oct 27, 2014 12:06 PM in response to uncledoggle

Actually, it doesn't quite work. If you clear history by first selecting "Show History" (which, by the way, has a tool bar button available under "Customize Tool Bar" in the View menu), then Select All, and finally Delete, it gets rid of history under History (though it can require a couple of select/delete actions to get rid of everything), but if you then go back under History and choose "Reopen All Windows from Last Session" it will open some previous browsing session—PLUS all previous windows visited before that will be viewable by clicking on (and holding) the "Back" button in upper left corner (this occurs even if you quit Safari after clearing history, and reopen, and/or if you clear caches using the Develop menu category).

Safari is not securable without creating major headaches for people like myself and wife who stay logged in to a couple dozen sites. Whoever thought this was a good system was really out to lunch.

I suppose it might be nice to have an option to clear all history plus cookies (but really, with the private window option, what need is there?), but there should also be a fast option (i.e., one button) for just clearing history, leave the cookies, and also clear any info that might show up under "Reopen All Windows from Last Session"

I cannot clear history without clearing cookies with Safari 8.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.