Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music app landscape mode USELESS!!!

Ok, I need to bash Apple, not because I hate them...I love them an they get more of my paycheck than anyone, but update after update, Apple does nothing with the utterly useless landscape mode of a the music app!

To see all my album covers is cool, and maybe I just have too much music, but it would probably take more than 30 minutes to scroll to look for something. I can't imagine anyone can find this useful...or maybe I'm alone in my misery? Esp on my iPhone 6 plus there could be so many better ways to utilize this.

Just had to vent my unhappiness with the current way it is...hopefully one day Apple will make it better.

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:38 PM

I couldn't agree more. Why push the fact that the iPhone 6 plus can be used in landscape mode when the music side of things can't. I quite often have music playing while at work and to be able to have my phone standing side on is much easier.

39 replies

Oct 18, 2014 12:19 PM in response to Dearfy

Dearfy wrote:

Yes it still plays music, but it still plays music no matter if the app is open or not. the landscape view of the music app is useless as you can only listen to whats playing and nothing else. If you could skip tracks, or see what current track is, then it would be useful. see the difference?

Yes, I understand the difference between "useless" and "doesn't have the features I want". Submit your feedback to Apple.

Nov 7, 2014 12:03 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Submitting feedback is nice in theory, having a post that consumers can see is another. What's your intent?

At best landscape mode for iTunes is painful to use. Arguing semantics and telling people to submit feedback doesn't publicly address that. It just makes you look like an Apple homer, or worse, a troll.

Apple should be doing everything it can to keep their market share of online music industry. It depresses me as a shareholder. Fact is, decisions like this give consumers a reason to use another service.

Nov 7, 2014 12:19 PM in response to fltsdsurf

fltsdsurf wrote:

Submitting feedback is nice in theory, having a post that consumers can see is another. What's your intent?

At best landscape mode for iTunes is painful to use. Arguing semantics and telling people to submit feedback doesn't publicly address that. It just makes you look like an Apple homer, or worse, a troll.

Apple should be doing everything it can to keep their market share of online music industry. It depresses me as a shareholder. Fact is, decisions like this give consumers a reason to use another service.

YOu sound like the troll. Meg has already provided the outlet for user to let Apple know about issue they have by submitting a feed back.

Nov 7, 2014 1:09 PM in response to fltsdsurf

fltsdsurf wrote:

Submitting feedback is nice in theory, having a post that consumers can see is another.

Do you honestly think posting gripes about this will accomplish anything? If your intention is to somehow utilize this forum to force Apple's hand to improve the Music app, you're either naive or delusional. This is a technical support forum, not a place to air your gripes. This is not a technical problem that can be resolved here, so your contribution on this issue has no place here. There are countless other forums or blogs where you can spout off about how silly the Music app is, but doing so here is against the terms of use that you agreed to.

Now before you accuse me of being an Apple shill, I'll certainly admit that I too find the horizontal view of the Music app to be zero use to me. I really can't see how it could be beneficial to anyone with more than 100 albums on their device. The former carousel Apple called "Coverflow" was far more useful, where at least it would display albums in the vicinity to what you're currently listening to, and had a neat (but gimmicky) feature where the covers would shuffle like a jukebox when the album changed

There are plenty of things that Apple does that I disagree with, but the difference is that I'll use the resource that Apple provides its consumers to provide feedback. They may not take my comments into account, or maybe they will, but I'm not going to foolish to think that complaining on their technical support forum will have any impact, other than to make me look silly.

Nov 10, 2014 4:39 PM in response to szxyz1

So, I am frustrated with the landscape mode as well. I just purchased a music album off iTunes for which the Artist thoughtfully included some alternate versions of their songs which contained video of the band actually performing. Nice to have the option to watch them while Im listening. But hmmm.... when I watch in portrait, I see kind of a small video area with a lot of white space on the screen. Wouldn't it be nice to turn it landscape and have the video take up the full screen? Just like the Youtube app already does if I'm watching the same video of the same band performing, on Youtube?

But no... with Apple's music app, the only way to watch the video is in portrait mode! Who was the Apple Genius who came up with that idea?

Yeah, I'll hunt around and figure out how to submit that suggestion to Apple as well, but I thought they had a team of highly skilled UX people that are supposed to actually use their products and figure all this stuff out ahead of time, right?

(P.S. - Apple remote and Desktop iTunes is also getting more confusing and frustrating. Used to be able to see "Now playing" and see the current song, with a list of all the other songs in the current playlist. Now it's just some weird confusing long scrolling history of the last 50 things you listened to or whatever, I can't even figure it out. Stop changing stuff that used to work just fine!)

Nov 10, 2014 4:46 PM in response to ngopen

P.S. - After airing my gripe, I searched for Apple's feedback page so I could try to get this feedback to the right channel. They require you to pick the category so the feedback gets to the right team... they don't even allow you an option for the Music app! Just certain select iOS apps, none of which is that one.

So I had to just post my gripe to the iPhone team themselves, but they'll probably just ignore it since they don't have any interest in/control over the software. What are the chances they will forward the request to the right department?

Dec 10, 2014 8:53 AM in response to szxyz1

It is frustrating

The only thing I do is try not to turn my phone sideways, lock the rotation or open Sound hound to continue listening to music.

How about something more useful like the single Album art cover of the song you are listening to with the controls below and when you swipe, your swiping through your music list? That could be a simple enhancement until they put any real brain power behind a desirable feature.

Also how about bringing back the old feature when you are watching music videos in landscape mode fills the whole screen?

Apple Music app landscape mode USELESS!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.