Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto access to Aperture library - forcing upgrade after Yosemite

I've just upgraded to Yosemite and unfortunately Aperture 2 needed to be upgraded (at an additional cost).

Assuming I don't want the upgrade and choose to use iPhoto instead, iPhoto still insists that the Aperture library (and app) get upgraded.

***** that you have to pay for the app upgrade even though the OS upgrade is free and in doing so has locked you out of access to your pics until you shell out more money.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 9:25 PM

4 replies

Oct 18, 2014 8:39 PM in response to martinafterdark

martinafterdark wrote:

I've just upgraded to Yosemite and unfortunately Aperture 2 needed to be upgraded (at an additional cost).

Assuming I don't want the upgrade and choose to use iPhoto instead, iPhoto still insists that the Aperture library (and app) get upgraded.

***** that you have to pay for the app upgrade even though the OS upgrade is free and in doing so has locked you out of access to your pics until you shell out more money.

I'm dismayed that Apple hasn't made clear the proper update path for Yosemite, Aperture, and iPhoto. I wonder if there are other Apps which might be affected in a similar fashion when upgrading to Yosemite?

Oct 19, 2014 8:05 AM in response to Gerald Gifford

Gerald Gifford wrote:

I'm dismayed that Apple hasn't made clear the proper update path for Yosemite, Aperture, and iPhoto. I wonder if there are other Apps which might be affected in a similar fashion when upgrading to Yosemite?

Hi Gerald.

Apple has stated that the path forward for both the current versions of Aperture and iPhoto is to the forthcoming "Photos for OS X" application. They have not said much else about it.

Apple has always been clear about the proper upgrade path for Aperture 2. It is to Aperture 3, which was released in 2010.

Anytime an OS is upgraded, there are apps that either are already superannuated, or become superannuated with the upgrade. A Google search will turn up some. I recommend the "Take Control" guides. Their "Take Control of Upgrading to ****" contains, among much excellent information and advice, warnings about popular apps that might give users trouble.

Oct 19, 2014 8:21 AM in response to martinafterdark

The Aperture version and iPhoto version need to match, if you want to use iPhoto with an Aperture library. The new unified library has been introduced with Aperture 3.3 and iPhoto 9.3. Earlier Aperture libraries have a different format and need to be upgraded to work with the other photos application.

See this document: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

Aperture 2 has no longer been supported on the newer MacOS X versions since MacOS X 10.7. The last compatibility update Aperture 2.1.4 was for MacOS X 10.6.8. Snow leopard is the last MacOS X version, that supports Aperture 2 well. Yosemite is the fourth MacOS X upgrade, since Aperture has been replaced by Aperture 3.

Oct 19, 2014 8:22 AM in response to léonie

iPhoto doesn't work for me since the upgrade. When I click a photo I get the exclamation point meaning a file isn't found. However, when I open the same library in Aperture as the iPhoto library, it works fine and I can edit, etc. Not sure of how to even go about fixing this. Maybe I'll just have to stick with aperture instead of iPhoto.

iPhoto access to Aperture library - forcing upgrade after Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.