Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Garageband 6.0.5 work in Yosemite?

I have a huge podcast project that has been built using Garageband 6.0.5 that I did NOT migrate into Garageband 10 when I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.9.5. If I upgrade to Yosemite, will the older version of Garageband still work as it does now? I was not happy with some of the loss of functionality in the newer version of Garageband and this project is too far along to mess up should it not.

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 7:55 PM

22 replies

Oct 18, 2014 1:10 AM in response to gautierfromechirolles

Have you tried it, Gautier?

My GarageBand '11, version6.0.5 is working with Yosemite.

The Sound Effects instrument keeps working, publishing podcasts to iTunes is working, effect like Vocal Transformer are working.

I have not tested it thoroughly, however.

starplot, if you are unsure about migrating, make a bootable clone of your mac or a full Time Machine backup, so you can restore your current system from a backup, if you should have unexpected issues after upgrading. It is good practice anyway, never to upgrade software without having a working backup if the current state.

See: OS X Mavericks: Revert to a previous OS X version

btw, GarageBand 10 is not bad, it is just different. I like to have both versions, GB 10 and GB 6.0.5. They can coexist peacefully.

Oct 18, 2014 6:53 AM in response to léonie

You are right, that is always a good idea (to back-up) and that is one of the things I did before migrating to Mavericks. In fact the only reason I DID migrate to Mavericks is because I wanted to get GB 10! I would prefer to keep this machine as up to date as it can possibly be, but I don't want to lose anything I am currently working on either. If you are now running Yosemite and both versions of GB with no known problems, that's exactly what I came here to find out.

Oct 18, 2014 7:02 AM in response to starplot

If you are now running Yosemite and both versions of GB with no known problems, that's exactly what I came here to find out.

Just keep in mind, that it has been only two days since the official release of Yosemite. There has not been much time for testing.The previous versions I tested have been developer releases. So there may be surprises.

Oct 18, 2014 7:04 AM in response to davende

léonie, how can I have both versions of GarageBand on my desktop? I, too, would prefer to use the older version at times.

The GarageBand 10 installer moved the previous version to a subfolder of the Applications folder. If you did not delete it, it should still be there. Both versions are sharing the loops and instruments. You can open GarageBand 6.05 projects in GarageBand 10, but not vice versa.

Oct 18, 2014 10:30 AM in response to isteveus

I don't have 6.0.5 installed but it still shows up in App Store under Purchases and will install on Yosemite.

Have you noticed, that the last update for Garageband 10 to 10.0.3 changed the GarageBand icon to include a speaker in the background? Now the GarageBand 6.0.5 icon and the GarageBand 10.0.3 icon are finally different, so we can distinguish them in the Dock.

User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2014 10:51 AM in response to ho hum doldrum

could someone please explain this as i am soon to get the 27" retina display iMac with YOSEMITE. I dread losing GB 11. its so much easier and that makes it better than GB 10.0.3 imho like the simple piano was in the 1930 40 50's 60's etc to write songs with.

I'm getting the impression it will not have GB 11 installed in YOSEMITY

questions.

1. Can i and how would i install it in the brand new machine with YOSEMITE?

2. Where do i locate the download of GB 11?

have others done this without glitches?

Dec 4, 2014 10:12 PM in response to glosackmd

Hello Everyone,

I have a new macbook pro. It's great but one of the main reasons I purchased it was to use garageband for podcasting. Yeah, I should have done my research and realized that there's no podcasting projects in Garageband X. I'm still kinda kicking myself, but it seems like it might be possible to purchase a iLife '11 disc and download the older version of GB ('11) Does anyone know if that will work? If so, I could really use some help in figuring it out.

I see where some people have both versions on their desktops which would be really, really cool. I get that it works when you have the old GB version, but I am unclear on how to obtain that when you are starting out with only the GB X version.

Fishpapa

Will Garageband 6.0.5 work in Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.