Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Wireless Set Up

Hey everyone

I am looking to set up my Time Capsule so I can have it distribute in home WiFi without being plugged in via ethernet... Is this do able?

Thanks for the help y'all!

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:45 PM

13 replies

Oct 17, 2014 10:10 PM in response to John Talleur

I am looking to set up my Time Capsule so I can have it distribute in home WiFi without being plugged in via ethernet... Is this do able?

Yes, if you already have another Apple AirPort router providing a wireless signal that the Time Capsule will extend to provide greater range. Devices that connect to the wireless will have Internet access.

or

If you do not have another Apple router providing a wireless network, the Time Capsule can still distribute a wireless signal without an Ethernet connection, but any device that connects to the Time Capsule will not be able to reach the Internet. Not sure if you desire this type of option or not. If yes, we can provide more details if you need them.

Oct 18, 2014 6:43 AM in response to John Talleur

So I could use this Airport Extreme in addition to my router

The AirPort Extreme would need to connect to your existing router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection. The AirPort would need to be configured to "create a wireless network" using a different name than your existing network, so you will actually have two wireless networks unless you choose to turn off the wireless on the existing router.

and then set up my Time Capsule to talk to that so I can get better signal in the downstairs of my house.

The Time Capsule would need to be located where it can pick up a strong wireless signal from the AirPort Extreme. To get a rough idea whether or not you might have a strong enough signal downstairs, take your laptop downstairs and log on to the wireless network that is provided by your existing router.

Can you get a good, fast Internet connection where the Time Capsule might be located?

If not, then you will need to choose another location for the Time Capsule with a stronger wireless signal. In general, you want to have line-of-sight as much as possible between a computer and a wireless router, or between two devices like an AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule. A typical ceiling in most homes will absorb anywhere from 25-50% of the wireless signal, so keep that in mind. Any other obstructions that the signal must pass through like walls or furniture will also slow and weaken the signal as well.

As you might imagine, the wireless performance will be much better if you can consider connecting the Time Capsule back to the AirPort Extreme using a wired Ethernet connection. The reason for this is that there is no signal loss in a wired connection.

If you want to think about connecting the AirPort Extreme to your existing router, we will need to get some additional information to make sure that things will work. The AirPort Extreme will need to connect to your existing router using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection. You can locate the AirPort Extreme anywhere you want that the Ethernet cable will reach.

Please look on the bottom of the AirPort Extreme and locate the model number. It may be on a label or embedded in the foam base depending on what model that you have. The model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers. Please post back on what you see there.

Next, we need to know what operating system that your computer is using. If you have a Mac, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click About This Mac. Post back with the OS X Version number that you see there.

Oct 19, 2014 5:35 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

Just wanted to mention how helpful your posts have been. I've asked the same questions at the Apple Store and even the associates there weren't able to provide me this kind of information. Your a beast!

The model number on my Airport Extreme is A1408. It states on the Airport Extreme that it provides 802.11n Wi-Fi (not sure if this is redundant or helpful).

The computer that I am using is a brand new 15.4 Macbook Pro with Yosemite OS 10.10 on it. I am going to attempt to put all of this together but any feedback or guidance you could offer would be excellent!

Oct 19, 2014 8:49 AM in response to John Talleur

Please perform a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Extreme as follows:

Power off the AirPort Extreme and make sure that no other devices are connected to the product

Wait a full minute

Hold in the reset bottom on the back of the AirPort first, and keep hold it in for an additional 8-10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power cord back into the AirPort Extreme

Release the reset button after the hold period and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Connect an Ethernet cable.....that you have tested to make sure that it is working......from one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on your existing router to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme

On your Mac.....open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on Other WiFi Devices

Click on AirPort Extreme

Assuming that things are behaving in Yosemite, the setup utility will present a window that suggests that the AirPort will be configured to create a network.

For Network Name.....Enter a short, simple name that you want to call your wireless network

For Base Station......Enter a short simple name that you want to call the AirPort Extreme

For Password.......Enter a password that you want to use for both the wireless network and base station

For Verify........Enter the same password again

Click Next and the setup utility will configure things for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

You should have a green light on the AirPort Extreme. If yes, you are done. You can now select the wireless network and enter the password to connect.

If the light is blinking amber, the AirPort has a message for you, possibly about an update to be installed. Post back if that is the case.

Oct 25, 2014 11:36 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

I am inching closer and closer to having connection throughout my entire house! I have the Airport Extreme setup and updated with green lights and ready to go, but my Time Capsule isn't connecting. I am assuming that I might have to reset it and try connecting again from there and am doing that as we speak since I have already "forgotten" the device from my Airport Utility. Any other useful feedback on establishing this connection?

PS - Your the best!

Oct 25, 2014 1:11 PM in response to John Talleur

It would be a good idea to make sure that the Time Capsule will be able to pick up a strong wireless signal at the point where it will be located.

To do that, take a laptop or something similar to the spot where you plan to install the Time Capsule and log on to the Internet. Check the connection to see if web pages load quickly and the connection remains fast and stable over a 30-60 minute period.

If the connection remains solid, then chances are the Time Capsule will work OK at that location.

If there is any way that you could consider an Ethernet cable connection from the AirPort Extreme to the Time Capsule, the network performance will improve quite a bit, and you can locate the Time Capsule wherever you want.

I'm not clear on whether you needed step by step to setup the Time Capsule, or whether you were planning to set things up.

Mar 28, 2015 3:27 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob:

I have a different question, but the subject falls within this domain.

I am living at my daughter's house while an addition is being constructed. Since we live in NH, we have Time-Warner. Initial connection is cable to Arris Gateway to (first) Time Capsule. The wifi is an Apple network created by the first Time Capsule and not stemming from the Arris Gateway. I'm on the second floor and have extended the network wirelessly to another (second) Time Capsule. Can I connect my iMac directly to the second Time Capsule via Ethernet?

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2015 3:12 AM in response to LaPastenague

Haven't tried this yet because I am away from home until this evening. So, just to reiterate.

cable in-Arris Gateway-Time Capsule 1 via Ethernet-broadcast wifi out-second Time Capsule acting to extend network via wifi-connect Ethernet from iMac to second Time Capsule-Ethernet to iMac

So, wifi signal being converted to Ethernet to Mac, correct? Wan or Lan port?

Change connection type in Network setup to Ethernet and disable wifi?

If you want to expound and include pictures, then I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2015 2:10 PM in response to MeisterFritz

cable in-Arris Gateway-Time Capsule 1 via Ethernet

Correct.. this is standard setup.. TC in bridge mode.. plug in to Arris gateway by WAN port (but you can also use LAN and in fact if you have dropouts test LAN.. as this setup on the latest gen5 TC at least is a bit dubious).

Create a wireless network on TC1.

second Time Capsule acting to extend network via wifi-connect Ethernet from iMac to second Time Capsule-Ethernet to iMac

Also correct.. when you select extend wireless it will immediately put the TC in bridge.. and it will become a wireless repeater and ethernet bridge.

So, wifi signal being converted to Ethernet to Mac, correct? Wan or Lan port?

Yes... correct. In bridge wan is joined to lan.. in other words there is no wan port.. so use any port you like.

Change connection type in Network setup to Ethernet and disable wifi?

Yes.. correct.

You have everything right.

You end up with exactly the same as this setup I run.

User uploaded file

If you want details though.. I think you should start a new thread with actual problems you have.. most of this is pretty much straight forward when you start.. the problems you can run into are distance of the wireless link. Remember wireless signal to the second floor must be strong so the TC2 gets good signal. If it is weak then the link will be poor and you might need to move things around to locate the TC2 closer to TC1.

Time Capsule Wireless Set Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.