Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 is muting speakerphone automatically.

This problem is getting pretty exhausting. If I am on a phone call, using soeakerphone, the mute will sometimes engage for no reason. Anywhere from 2-10 minutes into a call when I am not touching the phone even. On a couple occasions, I have been looking at the phone and watched it suddenly turn on mute for no reason.

Additionally, today I was on an extended call (45 minutes) on speakerphone. I watched as the mute engaged automatically on three occasions during the call AND the contacts were displayed. All while the phone sat on a flat table and I watched from a distance.

What would cause this?? I've been conscious of what words I'm using and it doesn't seem like anything would be listening to activate them. It's very annoying when you're not paying attention and talk for a few minutes before realizing the other party heard nothing. Any ideas!??

iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 8:46 PM

58 replies

Mar 30, 2017 3:55 AM in response to Jefferson 2099

I've already replaced my iPhone 6 three times in two years. Meaning I am on my 4th! The most recent replacement was done last week and that's where I am experiencing the self-muting problem while on an active phone call. But this never happened with the three previous IPhone 6 phones I had. Feels like paying an extra $100 for an extra year of Apple care is a TOTAL WASTE! They replace your phone with one that isn't brand new and I totally feel this is the reason why I continue to experience issues versus the first one I bought brand new and had no problems with the whole first year. What GIIIIIIIVES Apple?!?!?! .... anyone thinking of Google Pixel? ;) lol

Sep 1, 2017 12:48 PM in response to Conwatcher

I'm having the same issue also. Iphone 6 with iOS 10.3.3. It hasn't happened in a couple of months but I've had the issue also intermittently in the past. It happened today. Could this be a hack? Was on a conference call bridge with 1 other person. During the issue, when my iPhone speaker phone button would automatically turn off/on (I watched it happen) but also I couldn't hear the other person on the call intermittently for 5-10 seconds, the other person on the call said they heard what sounded like a call center with a bunch of people talking in the background. There were no other people on the conference bridge so something smells fishy. Any others notice this kind of behavior?

Mar 31, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Conwatcher

I am having this same problem, only I'm using my earphones and the built in mic on them instead of speaker phone. But randomly muting itself while I'm watching with nothing near my phone to be causing it. And I also noticed the randomly pulls up my contact list "feature" too.

I'm on Verizon, iPhone 6 IOS 8.2

I've googled and so far found nothing but this post to indicate anybody else having this issue. Quite frustrating.

May 8, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Conwatcher

I am having this problem too. My habit is to set my iPhone 6 in an M2 mobile stand while plugged in, to talk on speaker phone while I'm working at my computer. The phone is not in proximity with anything, standing by itself at a 45-degree angle, facing toward me.

I've watched as my phone mutes itself, then opens contacts, selects a contact, even initiates an email - by itself. It's like a circus is happening, and its distracting because I have to push a button to get back to my keypad screen to make sure I haven't been muted again.

I have done a hard reset on the phone with home and on buttons, which hasn't helped. I have "Hey, Siri" set to on.

Possible caused for Apple to explore in why this happens:

1. Angle of phone at rest?

2. Tradeoff bug that occurs when phone and computer are nearby each other?

3. Heat fluctuation in the room?

4. Voice command glitches?

I really want this to function, and don't believe it's asking too much. Apple, please help us elegantly do business with your products. It's not good for your PR when I have to confess to the people that the reason my voice cut out is because my iPhone just muted itself.

May 20, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Conwatcher

I have this same problem. So very very strange for a 6th generation iPhone. While on speakerphone during a call, my phone will:

1) Mute randomly by itself

2) Pull up contacts and/or my email and start opening my email

3) And most frustrating, will pull up a random contact and add a call making it a conference call

I haven't called Apple yet about this but since the phone is still under factory warranty, it will need to either be replaced or fixed if possible.

Does anyone have any answers or new information about this problem?

Jul 9, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Conwatcher

This same exact thing has happened to me multiple times. Everything from muting, to adding calls, and starting emails, all while on speaker and sitting on a counter untouched. It's like it has a mind of it's own. The phone has never had any water damage, bad falls, or anything that should warrant such erratic behavior. Has anyone had any luck figuring this issue out? Anyone take their phone to the apple store and ask? People at Apple, any tips, advise, etc.?

Jul 17, 2015 2:35 AM in response to LM8884

Same thing started happening to me this evening, a phone call using speakerphone. The only thing I can think of, is that an hour or so earlier, I enabled voice dictation for the first time. Not Siri, but voice dictation in the keyboard. I wanted to send a text by talking instead of typing. Apparently it is disabled in iOS by default. I disabled it once I remembered that I had done that, we'll see if the mystery automatic mute, add call, etc happens again.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2, AT&T

Aug 12, 2015 7:56 AM in response to Conwatcher

I am (was?) having the same problem (phone muting itself, randomly opening contacts and dialing)

I recently made three changes that seem to have made a difference (at least I didn't have any issues during a 45-minute call). I'm not sure if any of them separately would do the trick, but sharing just in case:

- Reset the phone (hold down home and power buttons until the apple logo appears)

- Turned off "hand off" (settings -> General -> Handoff & suggested apps)

- Turned off voice over LTE (VoLTE). This is the one I think is least likely to be causing the issue, but I tried it anyways. (settings -> cellular -> enable LTE -> Data Only)

This is for an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4

Hope this helps

Sep 26, 2015 1:53 PM in response to hlrynearson

I am experiencing same thing. iPhone 6. In my case, not only did the phone mute while I was on a call using the speakerphone, the "phantom" user tried adding a call. The phone asked for touch ID or passcode info, the "phantom" tried to enter the passcode and was refused. This must've occurred at least 5 times while I was on a 20 minute phone call. And when my call ended, the security feature on the phone had locked me out for extended period of time! Eventually I regained use of the phone.

THIS IS CONCERNING!!!

Oct 6, 2015 5:14 PM in response to Jack Arky

I have had my IPhone 6 since April 2015 and just updated to IOS 9.02. I just started having a problem with the phone self muting while on calls when I am not even holding it to my face. It has happened both when on speaker phone and on Bluetooth in my vehicle. It is very frustrating. And I need to find a way to get this fixed. I have also seen the phone randomly open other apps while on a call including my contacts. Help please!

Thanks.

Oct 11, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Conwatcher

My phone is doing the exact same thing! iPhone 6 64GB Verizon Slate Gray

It mutes and unmutes during speakerphone or ear-bud calls.

It will go to contacts and conference a random contact.

I watch this happen in front of my eyes while it's on my desk!

I already had Apple replace the unit once, and it didn't fix it.

I am wondering if instead of restoring my backup if I have to actually set the phone up as new and start all over?

Thoughts????

Iphone 6 is muting speakerphone automatically.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.