Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After installing Yosemite, my macbook air crashes every time it wakes from 'longish' sleep

I installed Yosemite. All seemed to be fine. But if my MacBook Air (mid 2012) goes to sleep due to inactivity (or if I close the lid), when I then wake it, it restarts and then gives me an error message saying that something went wrong and it had to be restarted. If I choose 'Sleep' from the menu and then immediately wake it again, or close the lid and then open it within a few seconds, it's fine. So perhaps it's a longer term sleep/wake period that is the problem? Has anyone else experienced this?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 11:50 PM

42 replies

Oct 20, 2014 6:37 PM in response to gdiaz59

My Model Identifier: MacBookAir5,2 , Serial Number (system): C02HTXQADRVC, has started crashing from sleep mode after installing Yosemite!

I am using the integrated Macbook Air's WiFi NIC but not any of Apple's Airport products.

MBA lid is closed using external Apple BT keyboard and Apple BT Magic touch pad. I have an external HP display connected via HDMI - Thunderbolt cable. It worked find in this configuration before the introduction of Yosemite.

When system reaches time out it goest to sleeps as expected or I can initiate sleep by [Option] + [Command] + [Eject] buttons. Come back to MBA with in a minute it generally wakes OK and allows me to type my password. If I leave it for a longer period of time it becomes unresponsive to my external Apple KB, sometimes the touch pad works so I open the MBA laptop and its resident keyboard also not working.

Only resolution at that time is to hard power down the MBA and restart!

All started after I loaded Yosemite yesterday, 10/20/2014!

Oct 21, 2014 10:18 AM in response to Brenda Anderson1

Same problem with iMac 27" late 2009. Was in the beta program before. Reported the problem via feedback but nothing happens. If you're looking through the forums it seems a general problem. Several users reported it during the beta test phase but it wasn't fixed. How arrogant is this? Unbelivable they released it. I'm sure it would have never been released under Steven Jobs.

To be sure it has nothing to do with any other software or OS I did a fresh install of Yosemite (WLAN is switched off, no sound etc.). Problem remains. Thank you Apple! Lot of work and I have to go back to Mavericks.

Oct 21, 2014 12:34 PM in response to jmorgan007

Further troubleshooting for my situation confirm that there is a conflict between having external three conductor 1/8" audio jack plug into my MBA at the same time when having thunderbolt HDMI cable plugged into external HP display going to sleep is fine however on wake there's a conflict between the audio assignment of these two devices causing an OS X crash where keyboard entry from the MacBook Air is no longer feasible to log into the system forcing a hard powerdown reset.

Interesting tests prove if you plug-in Apple earbuds with the four conductor 1/8"'audio plug into the MBA audio port there is no problem as OS X likely sees these earbuds as a smart device versus a standard three conductor audio cable plug to external speakers or not. Several different Three conductor audio jacks/cables were tested and the crash upon sleep wake continued.

After three conductor audio jack is plugged in but the HDMI is removed from thunderbolt then you wake the computer there is no conflict and it functions as intended No crash full functionality of all keyboards and mouse and put work correctly.

Likewise conversely if you unplug the three conductor audio jack and just leave the thunderbolt HDMI external display plugged in upon wake everything functions as intended so it's not specifically related to external display or audio cable but when both are connected that the conflict crashes the system Upon sleep wake.

Be reminded this configuration and scenario work perfectly fine prior to Yosemite OSX 10.10 update.

Even went to the sound audio settings and forced audio output two headphone audio and crash and still consistent one HDMI is connected to thunderbolt port waking from sleep.

Likely some trimming issues going on with the new Yosemite to do with audio assignment and potentially AirPlay. AiPlay was not being utilized however I have to Apple TVs that are in the background with AirPlay showing and the audio configuration settings but they were not being utilized at the time of these crashes.

This issue has no variance regarding MBA screen is open or closed when putting to sleep and wake initiated by typing keyboard key.

Oct 21, 2014 8:45 PM in response to Brenda Anderson1

I am having the same issue with my MBA 13" mid 2012 with Yosemite installed. Every time it goes to sleep (not just the display turning off but the computer enters sleep) and I wake it up, I get the dreaded crash screen. This happens whether or not I have anything plugged into the USB ports. Makes the computer very unreliable throughout the course of a typical day.

Oct 22, 2014 12:27 PM in response to ruimac

Last night I tried something new to address this problem. Under System Preferences->Energy Saver->Power Adapter I unchecked (i.e. turned off) "wake for network access". For the first time since installing Yosemite my MBA 13" 2012 did NOT crash on wake event!

Has anyone else had luck with turning the "wake for network access" off?

After installing Yosemite, my macbook air crashes every time it wakes from 'longish' sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.