Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

motion 4 will not work after yosemite upgrade

Motion 4, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 10:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 5:55 AM

Motion 4 is dead. Yosemite only put the last nail in the coffin.

11 replies

Jul 11, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Todd Coffman

Apple Developer Relations14-Apr-2015 06:32 PM

We’ve reviewed the updates in your bug report. We understand that there will be some difficulties with the decision, however, there are alternatives. We recommend you try contacting AppleCare to see what suggestions they can offer. Although your current MacBook Pro can’t be downgraded, there are other systems that could be. We are leaving this report closed.

Apple Developer Relations12-Feb-2015 11:45 AM

This issue behaves as intended based on the following: Yes, we decided we weren't going to support Motion 4 on Yosemite. We recommend installing an earlier version of Mac OS. We are now closing this bug report. If you have questions about the resolution, or if this is still a critical issue for you, then please update your bug report with that information. Please be sure to regularly check new Apple releases for any updates that might affect this issue.

Christopher Dawes13-Apr-2015 09:08 PM

Dear Microsoft, Thank you finally responding 2 months after the fact. And who is the "we" in "we decided"? Did "we" bother consulting "our" user community before making that foolish decision? Given that I have an unfinished feature-length documentary that Apple has thoughtfully broken and rendered impossible to finish, yes, I would say that this is still a critical issue for me, wouldn't you agree? Or maybe you wouldn't. Are there any genuine filmmakers still employed at Apple Computer? Given how utterly wretched Yosemite is, I would like nothing more than to downgrade my operating system, preferably all the way back to Snow Leopard. Can I install Snow Leopard on a 15" MacBook Pro Retina Display? Why no, I can't, can I? Cordially, Christopher Dawes

Christopher Dawes11-Feb-2015 05:57 PM

Bueller?

Christopher Dawes17-Dec-2014 12:14 PM

Summary: Against my better judgement (now that Apple has turned into Microsoft 10 years ago, breaking apps with every OS update, followed by radio silence from Apple, pretending like they didn't do anything), I just upgraded from Mountain Lion to Yosemite and noticed that my Motion 4 icon is now greyed out. Thanks Apple. I still do the majority of my work in Final Cut Pro 7, with many, many, Motion 4 projects embedded in the timeline (so that I can change them in Motion and have them seamlessly updated in my Final Cut Pro project), including a 5-year old unfinished feature length documentary on gay and lesbian history from 2000 BC until 1900 AD. Should I just throw 5 years of effort and the entire film into the rubbish bin? I would presume that Motion 5.1.2 is incompatible with Final Cut 7? So what am I supposed to do now? 1 - Downgrade to Mountain Lion (or heck, why not Snow Leopard?)? 2 - Switch to Adobe Premiere? 3 - All of the above? Thanks (for nothing, Apple). MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB Final Cut Studio '09, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1) Steps to Reproduce: 1. Install Yosemite 2. Start Motion 4 Expected Results: I expected Motion 4 to continue functioning properly, as it has in previous versions of Mac OSX, or AT LEAST to be forewarned that Yosemite would break Motion 4, so that I could have thrown Yosemite into the rubbish bin, instead of my 5-year old unfinished documentary film. Actual Results: Yosemite breaks Motion 4. Version: Motion 4 OS X Yosemite (10.10.1) Notes: Apple, please stop getting cocky and arrogant and turning into Microsoft. Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave right now because of your actions. Configuration: MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB Final Cut Studio '09, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1) Attachments:

Jul 11, 2015 1:43 PM in response to BrooklynBlueEyes

The fact that motion 4 was incompatible with Yosemite has been known since the beta releases of the OS. It is a bummer I know but Apple abandoned Final Cut Studio in favor of FCPX, Motion 5 and Compressor 4. Although you can export clips from FCP 7 and import in Motion 5 to manipulate, there is no seamless integration between the two and that I can understand it is irritating. Although the transition to fcpx and motion 5 was disappointing for many, it is old news. Additionally, expecting that the older versions of software will keep on working with newer versions of the OS is an exercise in futility, partly because the newer OSs may employ technologies incompatible with older software to the point the latter may needs to be rewritten and partly because that Apple, or any such company, is indeed a corporation that needs to look after its finances. So, your options as I see them are as follows, downgrade to Mavericks where both FCP 7 and Motion 4 work (well they did in my setup) or reinstall Mountain Lion and keep working in that environment or make the plunge, get FCPX and 7toX (a utility that transfers old fcp projects to fcpx) convert your projects and keep working on them or work in the way I suggested at the beginning of my post.

Oct 7, 2015 7:56 PM in response to BrooklynBlueEyes

Yes I miss Final Cut Pro 7 too. I suggest the best practice is to always render out each layer and save as mov files or render out sections and write out the compositing that you are applying in a note pad. At least you can replicate the 'look' of the film and have some continuity. Especially for colour grading. As software programs continue to evolve, the old practices of the notebook with settings, details of layering, compositing, transitions etc become vital. Remember the old editing decision lists? Yes its old school, but it ensures consistency regardless of the software programs available at the time. At lease Final Cut X now has scopes in it and some color grading secondaries. Vital for any post production. Another software option is to consider independent graphics and digital editing software and plugins. There are some brilliant ones out there now and supporting independent creative software developers is good for all of us. Good luck with the project.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.