Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail service on the OS X Server 4.0 works only locally

I updated my server to Yosemite and bought the next version of OS X SERVER 4.0.

At first glance, everything was as it should, until I noticed that I have new messages until the time when the server is updated. Then I myself sent a letter from the mailbox iCloud, but has not received a new mail.

Went into the mail settings on the server and see a message:

"Available on your local network at Server.local"

I once again set up e-mail in the section "Domains", but the service is still only available locally.

User uploaded file

Messages from these mailboxes can I send. I get a letter, if it is sent to a mailbox that is configured on the same server, but if I send a letter from another server, it does not come any letters.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

maping ports configured correctly.

How to make sure that the service has been available on the Internet and was able to receive emails from any servers?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10), OS X SERVER 4.0

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 1:32 AM

19 replies

Oct 19, 2014 9:19 AM in response to kedmans13

A couple of things happen during the upgrade: Your domain name changes, and you have to go back and fix it; and there is a display bug where services are listed as using server.local instead of server.example.com. This is a known bug, I reported it to Apple during beta, and I am not sure why it persists. However, although the display is wrong, try this to verify settings:

Go into Terminal and type: sudo serveradmin settings mail

That will list all of the settings for your mail server. Using serveradmin versus the Server.app might be a better way to manage some of the more advanced settings. You can get more information about serveradmin by typing: man serveradmin

Oct 21, 2014 3:05 AM in response to Tim_McManus

Hi, thanks for the answer.

tell me, and what options / properties should pay attention and change .

I did not find the value that is displayed "server.local" in Server.app.

found here are now options :

mail: postfix: add_whitelist_domain: _array_index: 0 = "Mac-mini.local"

mail: postfix: add_whitelist_domain: _array_index: 1 = "********************.com"

Oct 21, 2014 4:17 AM in response to kedmans13

These values are important:

mail:postfix:host_whitelist:_array_index:0 = "ns.100greenwood.net"

mail:postfix:host_whitelist:_array_index:1 = "mail.100greenwood.net"

mail:postfix:domains:_array_index:0:name = "100greenwood.net"

mail:postfix:mydomain = "100greenwood.net"

mail:postfix:enable_list_server = yes

mail:postfix:mydestination:_array_index:0 = "localhost"

mail:postfix:mydestination:_array_index:1 = "$mydomain"

Also in Terminal, type: hostname

That should show you the name of your host. Then type this command: sudo changeip -checkhostname

It should give you a result of: dirserv:success = "success"

If it doesn't then you have a hostname issue. The section above that refers to mail:postfix:mydestination:_array_index:0 = "localhost" uses the variable localhost to find your local server. If there is a name mismatch between them, bad things will happen. Make sure you change everything to the Internet (not the *.local) address so it routes properly.

Oct 29, 2014 1:01 PM in response to kedmans13

Ok, This looks similar to the problem I am having. I was only able to send and receive email through the SMTP server if the destination address was a virtual domain. Any email going to the primary server domain rejected all incoming emails. I tried turning off all greylisting and spam filtering, etc to no avail.

I was finally able to get it to work for the primary domain by editing:

/Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/main.cf

I had to COMMENT OUT the following line as so:

#smtpd_require_virtual_map = yes

I assume you could also just set the value to no.

I could not find any documentation via a google search on this particular postfix setting "smtpd_require_virtual_map". And with that I am not sure if this is the correct way to fix the problem. There may be a better way to fix this problem and if so I would like to know it.

Dan

Nov 3, 2014 8:12 AM in response to dboals

Ok my suggesting above only works for "real" accounts on the primary domain of the server. If you are using any virtual email addresses on the primary domain this doesn't work. Virtual email addresses on the primary domain are still a problem. virtual email addresses on Virtual domains work fine.

kedmans13 did you get your system to work? I am still struggling with this.

Mail service on the OS X Server 4.0 works only locally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.