Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Yosemite showing a load bar when I boot up my Mac(s)?

So I upgraded my somewhat newer (late 2013 model) MacBook Pro Retina to "Yosemite" and it's flawless except for one little thing, a thing that is a BIGGER thing on my OLDER (mid 2011 model) Mac Mini. Here's the problem. This LOADING (PROGRESS) BAR:

On my MacBook Pro Retina I get it after my login... It takes maybe 5 seconds. It's no big bother or anything but it is a bit less classy and faster than before... As seen HERE: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203308665013685&l=e27c3710e3

However, during the LENGTHY boot up process on my older Mac (the mid 2011 Mac Mini) I see the exact same loading bar -- except it takes a WHOLE LOT longer to pass by. Finally I'll be waiting for my top bar with the Apple logo in the left corner to load for about 30 seconds... This is reminiscent of the systray icons to load on a Windows 98+ era PC system... Boring and annoying to the user each time they have to boot up or even wake the Mac and login...

What gives?

I remember Macs booting up and loading instantaneously before on "Mavericks" and vice versa with OS X.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), late 2013 model

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 11:48 PM

117 replies

Dec 21, 2017 6:26 PM in response to pips1971

Yes I have a clean install of Yosemite and also have the dock appear to 'hang' on shutdown - i.e. the icons try to fade/disappear to the bottom and only make it about half-way before stopping. This is on a late 2014 MBP with 16GB RAM..

This and the loading bar at log on are two things I'm finding it hard to get used to, and surprised they made it through quality control

Oct 18, 2014 12:57 AM in response to Justin Sluss

I've had Yosemite since it was released to the public way back in July 24th.

This progress bar worried me at first as well. But when I read up on it back then, the articles that I've read all pointed to that it's normal for a beta. As all previous OS had the same thing when in beta mode. Since I am not a developer, I haven't seen it before.

Now that it's out to the public in it's final release. The progressive bar is still there. Again I was a bit worried, but not nearly as bad as before.

I still have another Mac that has 10.9 Mavericks. I just booted it up and I see what is different. Believe it or not, there is a "status bar" on the Mavericks as well. It's just the little pin wheel that goes around. Just like on an iOS device when it shuts down.

This video actually shows the normal "Status Bar" on Mavericks, which is the spinning pinwheel. However, it also shows a status bar under it. This is the status bar that is worrisome. As it indicates that the Mac has determine something is wrong and it's attempting to boot safely.

http://youtu.be/lpiBgXQCJ4k

For this Mac, something was wrong. But for our Macs with the Yosemite, everything is fine for the improved status bar.

KOT

Why is Yosemite showing a load bar when I boot up my Mac(s)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.