Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PPTP VPN is broken on Yosemite

Does anyone have a fix for PPTP VPN. Works great on another Mac running Mavericks right next to the Mac running Yosemite.

Created a PPTP VPN network setting same as the Mavericks computer, connecting to the same server at work (running Watchguard PPTP) and it never connects.

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2014 8:48 AM

When using a static IP address and manual entries for subnet and router in the network settings, Yosemite VPN fails to stay connected. This is probably a bug or an error that Apple needs to fix.

When having the client computer (the one you are using) network settings configured to either just use DHCP or DHCP with manual address, the VPN connections (both L2TP and PPTP) work. If using ARD to access computers on the local network, the results are better if you select "Send all traffic over VPN connection" under advanced options for the VPN connection.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2014 8:48 AM in response to googe

When using a static IP address and manual entries for subnet and router in the network settings, Yosemite VPN fails to stay connected. This is probably a bug or an error that Apple needs to fix.

When having the client computer (the one you are using) network settings configured to either just use DHCP or DHCP with manual address, the VPN connections (both L2TP and PPTP) work. If using ARD to access computers on the local network, the results are better if you select "Send all traffic over VPN connection" under advanced options for the VPN connection.

Oct 20, 2014 9:41 AM in response to BW Martin

Hi BW,

I do use DHCP on the client and I did try "Send all traffic...", it still never connects... I thought it was an issue with the password/handshake between Yosemite and the Watchguard (remote VPN server) firewall PPTP protocol... But now I see that a previously working (in Mavericks) PPTP VPN between my office computer and my home computer now refuses to connect. There is also a bug in the Yosemite (Show VPN in Apple Menu Bar) when you first try click connect to your selected VPN, it automatically thinks you're connected (but it doesn't do anything) so you need to disconnect then reconnect for anything to actually happen... Unfortunately, it still does not acknowledge the VPN, just says "A connection could not be established...". I going to try and packet sniff to find a solution and also try to use an L2TP, maybe that will work.

Oct 20, 2014 1:30 PM in response to googe

Correct.

Also, if you are using both an ethernet and a wi-fi connection on your machine, you can use Network Preferences to set the service order to make wi-fi as the first on the list (before ethernet) and then VPN will work. This assumes that your wi-fi is set to use DHCP for the IPv4 configuration. Doing this for the purpose of using VPN works and then, once done with using VPN, change the service order back to ethernet being first. It is at least a work around for now.

Oct 20, 2014 3:17 PM in response to BW Martin

Thanks for the useful information. Setting the service order and switching WiFi to DHCP works, both PPTP and L2TP services connect.

I created a new Network Location and I'm switching when I need to connect to my remote VPN.

(Normally for what I work with I can't use WiFi first in the Service Order).

Thanks again!

Oct 23, 2014 2:24 PM in response to googe

The suggested solution does not work for me. I am using GlobalProtect VPN and I got no connection after updating to Yosemite. The TCP/IP IPv4 is set to DHCP (no static IP) and I have already tested it with a new network location but everything failed on WLAN as well as on ethernet. Is there any other solution available?

I am on home office using my own device (iMac) and it is a real pitty to have no vpn access. Thanks for any help in advance!

PPTP VPN is broken on Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.