Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have transferred my documents from iMac to macbook air, but when I try to read then I get the message "This document is too old. Download it to version 09. How do I do that?

I have transferred my pages documents from my macbook pro to my macbook air, but I cannot read them as I get the message "This document is too old. Download to version 09". How do I do that? I spent over an hour on the phone to a technician at Apple but he was no help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 4:06 AM

25 replies

Oct 18, 2014 7:34 AM in response to edinjock

I have the same issue having replaced my 07 iMac for a new iMac, I was using iWork 08 (Pages) and all my Pages documents cannot be read by the latest iWork (Pages). I get the same message and, although I have worked out that any that had been exported to Word format can be read and then re-saved, I cannot now open the purely Pages documents to export them to Word first. I am amazed that the new Pages cannot read Pages 08 document but can continue to read Word ones! So, how can I get my hands on Pages 09, so that I can re-save them in the current Pages format?

Martin

Oct 19, 2014 4:17 AM in response to edinjock

Hi edinjock, I wouldn't go as far as switching to Microsoft, but it is outrageous that the latest version of Pages is not compatible with older versions. Is there an 'expert' out there who can advise how to get Pages 09? Did you ask the Apple technician how to obtain it? As I mentioned before, I cannot even open documents saved in Pages 08 with Pages 08 - that just makes no sense at all.

Martin

Oct 19, 2014 9:09 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter, I have recovered my iWork 08 folder from my backup disk but Pages 08 will not open documents originally saved in Pages 08. This seems to be Yosemite problem. I have checked Amazon, and can buy iWork 09 for £25, but it is ironic that having downloaded Yosemite for free I now have to pay to get it to allow me to use Pages!! On a minor point, when I first tried to open Pages 08 the system asked for the 'installer' file. It allowed me to open Pages anyway but I had assumed that the installer file would be in the iWork folder. Would you know the name if the installer file, and where it might be found?

Martin

Oct 19, 2014 10:01 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter, yes I have version 3.03 and by trial and error I have just found a way of opening my original Pages 08 files. If I open Pages 08 from the 'applications' folder and then select 'open existing file' I can select the desired file and it will open. It won't automatically save to the latest version of Pages, but I can cut and past to a new document to do so. A bit long winded, but equivalent to converting through Word. At least I can now access my earlier documents now. Thank you for your efforts to help solve this issue. I still cannot believe that Apple have allowed this situation to happen though.

Oct 19, 2014 10:12 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks Peter, but I had already tried to open it in Pages 08 (3.03) through selecting it in the Finder and that didn't work. It was the fact of opening the application first and then selecting 'open existing file' through the 'Template Chooser' page that made the difference. Hopefully others will be able to use this route rather than have to obtain Pages 09 (at a cost).

Martin

I have transferred my documents from iMac to macbook air, but when I try to read then I get the message "This document is too old. Download it to version 09. How do I do that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.