Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create alias for iCloud drive?

I would like to create an Desktop alias to my iCloud Drive (like I have for other cloud services for instant access) but not able to find the root folder. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 6:02 AM

Open finder, click on iCloud drive in sidebar.

User uploaded file

Drag iCloud Drive icon to desktop holding alt+cmd.

User uploaded file

But there is a strange moment 😟 you can't see Keynote, Numbers and Pages but there are all your other folders added manulay.

Best!

10 replies

Oct 18, 2014 6:17 AM in response to aero1247e

**** no links here:

Go to Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar and check the iCloud Drive box.

It's pretty much impossible to get the complete iCloud Drive folder in your dock. I did, however, find out how to ad just the folders from iCloud drive that I manually added.

It's a bit of a workaround, but this is how I did it.

- In finder you have to use go to folder (CMD+SHIFT+G) and navigate to ~/Library/

- Scroll down to Mobile Documents (This folders seems empty, but actually all your iCloud folders are hidden here)

- Drag Mobile Documents to your dock (Once added to your dock you can see it's contents).

- Look for the iCloud Drive folder via your new dock folder and drag this one to your dock again (yes it's possible to drag a subfolder, opened via dock, back to your dock)

- Now you have a Folder called iCloud Drive in your dock. Remember this only contains the folders you manually added to iCloud drive, it doesn't show the standard folders. So this solution might not be good/work for everyone.

As far as I understand, it's not possible to add your complete iCloud drive folder to your dock. The reason for this is that it's contents are actually fragmented in the ~/Library/Mobile Documents/ folder.

Ow and don't play around (e.g. delete) any of the folders you find under Mobile Documents. This will damage your iCloud Drive functionality. That's a situation you don't want!

Oct 23, 2014 2:26 PM in response to aero1247e

I even made i worse. I accidentially removed it from Favorites and can't get it back. Any idea?

Did you get it back into the sidebar by now?

You add iCloud drive back from the Finder Preferences:

• Bring the Finder forward by clicking somewhere in the empty Desktop,
  • then open the Finder Preferences from the "Finder " menu.
  • In the Preferences panel open the Sidebar tab.
  • Click the checkmark for iCloud Drive.

Jun 27, 2016 6:40 PM in response to aero1247e

User uploaded file

Open your iCloud Drive, see the little cloud in the bottom left-hand corner? Hold down the Command, grab the cloud, and drag it to your toolbar. The little plus sign means it'll be added.

User uploaded file

I added mine next to Dropbox and Downloads, and the tooltip says what the folder is. I don't know if that drop and drag will work anywhere else, but I hate the sidebar and this works just fine for me.

Jul 3, 2016 12:53 PM in response to dd3953

Never mind that. That only works until you restart your computer. And if you update the drive, that shortcut doesn't refresh. Instead, go to source folder. ~/Library/Mobile Documents and add "Mobile Documents" to your dock. There are quite a few aliases and mobile information, but if you don't mind scrolling all your Mac friendly files are in there, too.

Create alias for iCloud drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.