Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop?

Is there still no AirDrop between iOS and OS X Yosemite?

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 5:21 AM

17 replies

Oct 18, 2014 5:25 AM in response to Schrodinger56

No, there is. But your Mac and your iOS need to satisfy the requirements:

In order to transfer files between a Mac and and an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, your iOS device needs iOS 7 or later installed and your Mac needs to be a 2012 or later model. To transfer files between two Mac computers, you need one of the Mac models listed below and OS X Lion or later.

• MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)*
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)*
  • iMac (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

*The MacBook Pro (17-Inch Late 2008) and the white MacBook (Late 2008) do not support AirDrop.

see: Mac Basics: AirDrop lets you send files from your Mac to nearby Macs and iOS devices

Oct 18, 2014 6:29 AM in response to arthur

I have an early 2009 iMac running on Yosemite and an iPad Mini running on iOS8 but cannot seem to get AirDrop to work despite following the guidelines given in the documents quoted. When I open AirDrop in Finder and activate AirDrop on the iPad Mini the iPad isn't seen by the iMac.

Should the iPad become visible in the AirDrop screen in Finder?

Oct 18, 2014 9:33 AM in response to Toby Cockcroft

It's 8.0, however according to this document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6510 you only need to be running iOS7 or later for AirDrop to work :-

AirDrop is available from the Finder, the Share menu, and in Open and Save windows. When you choose AirDrop in Yosemite, your Mac looks for nearby devices that can also use AirDrop. This includes Mac computers with OS X Lion or later installed, and iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices with iOS 7 or later.

Oct 18, 2014 9:57 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Schrodinger56 wrote:

I have an early 2009 iMac running on Yosemite…

You need to have a 2012 or later Mac to use Airdrop between iOS and OS X. You need a Bluetooth 4.0 module which wasn’t released into the world until 2011.

Not sure then why AirDrop works between my iMac and my MBP both of which are pre-2012. The Apple documents also state that AD will work with iMacs dating from early 2009 onwards

Oct 18, 2014 10:08 AM in response to Barney-15E

So if I understand you correctly to use AD between OSX and iOS not only does the Mac have to be 2012 or later but both Mac and iPad have to be running Bluetooth 4.0.

Unlike what this Apple support document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5887 which states.

What you need

To share content with AirDrop, both people need one of these devices using iOS 7 or later, or a Mac with OS X Yosemite:

• iPhone 5 or later
  • iPad (4th generation or later)
  • iPad mini
  • iPod touch (5th generation)

AirDrop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.