Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive not syncing Keynote documents

I successfully turned on and migrated to iCloud Drive for Pages and Numbers data between Mac and iOS

Unfortunately Keynote documents are not syncing between the 'home-base' MacBook Pro and 'Satellite' devices (Mac and iOS).

New documents created on the home-base Mac are only visible on that Mac even though Yosemite shows them as uploaded to iCloud Drive.

Is there any method to troubleshoot this issue or force iCloud Drive to reset or re-migrate the Keynote data?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 4:50 AM

24 replies

Oct 18, 2014 4:56 AM in response to Warashina

Having similar issues here.

Tried to copy my documents folder to iCloud Drive, and Yosemite shows it as uploaded to iCloud Drive.
On iOS or iCloud.com, only part of the files are uploaded. Tried to remove the documents folder and copy&paste it again. Now it shows the folders "documents" and "documents 2", both incomplete. in Yosemite, only 1 "documents" folder, the complete one, is visible in iCloud Drive...

Seems there are still some bugs with iCloud drive...

Oct 21, 2014 2:25 AM in response to Warashina

I think I found a workaround for this problem.

If you find iCloud Drive is not syncing reliably between devices:

1) On the OS X Yosemite devices, go to System Preferences/iCloud.

2) Leave iCloud Drive on but click on options and uncheck all the applications listed (iWorks,etc)
3) Close System Preferences and open the iWorks app that is not syncing. You will still "see" iCloud Drive documents but this is not locally cached data/documents but direct to iCloud Drive (server side) data which should be the correct data set.
4) When the app data looks correct, go back to System Preferences/iCloud/iCloud Drive options and check all the app boxes.
I hope this solves your iCloud Drive issue.

Oct 21, 2014 3:50 PM in response to Warashina

I have a similar problem with a twist: not only is Keynote not syncing properly with iCloud, but I have a Keynote presentation in iCloud that doesn't show up in iCloud Drive on my MBP with OS X Yosemite and absolutely refuses to be deleted. Every time I delete the file, I get a message telling me that there was an error communicating with the server, but there was no problem deleting the other presentations. And this problem is only with Keynote, Numbers and Pages are syncing fine.

It gets better: whenever I upload Keynote presentations to iCloud and open Keynote on my iPad or iPhone, it shows them but they won't download, no matter how long it takes. It's also worth noting that these aren't particularly large presentations, either, the largest one being 8MB or so.

This is driving me insane, especially since I work with presentations daily for work and I'm at an impasse trying to find answers online. Can anyone shed light on this problem; I'm thinking it must be a bug, but I don't know for sure.

Oct 21, 2014 4:06 PM in response to PDADoc

Uncheck the Keynote option in System Prefernces - iCloud - iCloud Drive options, on the Mac.

You can still access Keynote docs on iCloud Drive via the Keynote app without any local cache issues.

Once things have cleared up you can turn on the Keynote option in iCloud Drive preferences again.

Cleared up the problem for me.

Hope it works for you too.

Oct 21, 2014 4:38 PM in response to PDADoc

Here is a work-around you should use only if feel comfortable deleting cache files.

1) make sure you have local backups of important iCloud Drive docs

2) turn off iCloud Drive on your Mac. You may get a warning that you will lose docs that have not been uploaded to iCloud. If confident you have backups, turn off iCloud Drive.

3) in Finder hold down the option key and select Library in the Go menu

4) open Caches in the Library menu, drag the iCloud Kit folder to the trash then restart the Mac

5) after the restart, empty the trash, then turn on iCloud Drive

this will completely reset iCloud Drive on your Mac and download a clean set of data from iCloud.

Do not do this unless you are comfortable doing so. Always best to try Apple Support first.

Oct 21, 2014 7:57 PM in response to PDADoc

Well, it did repopulate my iCloud Drive on the MBP, but when I open Keynote on both the MBP and iPad, it shows each presentation (12 of them) as "not downloaded" and on the iPad they're showing, but also not downloaded. It's been more than two hours, so it shouldn't have taken that long. I'll leave it overnight to see if that makes a difference, although it really shouldn't.

Oct 22, 2014 3:45 AM in response to Warashina

Well, good news and bad news: the cache purge worked, sort of. I'm now able to view and edit Keynote presentations on my MBP, but they're still not populating on my iOS devices, no matter how many times I purge the cache on the iPad and iPhone. I think it's worth pointing out that I didn't have this problem before updating to iOS 8.1, AND this issue only seems to plague Keynote, and not Numbers or Pages, both of which have far more files in the directories and they populate and work fine.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling Keynote on the iOS devices, thinking that whatever might have been the issue might get flushed out, but the problems persist. I recently converted all of my existing PowerPoint presentations to Keynote, and I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it. It shouldn't, though; I mean, Keynote is Apple's native application format.

Still tinkering away, looking for a solution. And before anyone chimes in to say that they haven't had any problems (never helpful anyway) and that it must be something I'm doing wrong, I'm not doing anything. In medicine there's a saying that noting is 100 percent 100 percent of the time, and just because others may not have experienced these issues doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep looking and report back if anything changes.

Oct 22, 2014 4:08 AM in response to PDADoc

You have probably already tried these but posting just in case.

If you want to force a local iOS cache update/sync, Turn off the Keynote slider in iCloud Drive in the app list, open Keynote app, see "No Presentations", force close the app. Go back and turn on the Keynote slider in iCloud Drive, open the Keynote app again and touch "Use iCloud" in the iCloud is Available" dialog.

The cached docs appear but update immediately.

Likewise, you can completely wipe the iOS doc cache with sign out of iCloud, restart, sign in again.

Agree the iOS side of iCloud Drive should be faster updating/downloading.

Keynote is finally working right on all my devices but it was awhile getting there.

Anyway wish you luck and hope you get everything working correctly.

Oct 22, 2014 4:19 PM in response to Warashina

Problem solved!

After many hours of dealing with this problem, it all came back to that phantom file that was located in the Keynote directory on iCloud that I was unable to delete. On a hunch, I renamed the file (phantom file) and was then able to delete it. I then deleted ALL of my Keynote, Numbers and Pages files from iCloud and left it for a few hours. Then I uploaded the files to their respective directories through iCloud.com. This time, however, the files immediately repopulated on the iCloud Drive on Yosemite and iOS with no real delay at all.

As I thought, that phantom file had been corrupting iCloud; once I was finally able to get rid of it, it was all good, and the documents showed up correctly in the iOS version of Keynote on both my iPad and iPhone, taking only about sixty seconds to update.

Thanks again to everyone who gave me assistance!

Oct 22, 2014 4:38 PM in response to Warashina

I hope it will, too. One thing I neglected to mention, and this is very important to my solving this problem: when I attempted to delete that phantom file from iCloud in previous attempts and was unsuccessful, I learned it was because in renaming the file in question, I had inadvertently omitted the file extension .key, which invalidated the process. I was only successful when I made sure to keep the .key extension in place, then I could delete it.

I never did find out why I couldn't delete the file as it was, especially since I was able to open and even edit it on iCloud (it was never visible from iOS or OS X via iCloud Drive). I suppose it doesn't really matter now, but it is worth mentioning. 😉

iCloud Drive not syncing Keynote documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.