Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't go into sleep mode in Yosemite

Set Screen Saver to start in 15 minutes and Sleep Mode in 30 minutes. Neither work in Yosemite. Both worked in Mavericks. Any recommendations? Thanks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 5:16 AM

68 replies

Jan 25, 2017 1:59 PM in response to dianeoforegon

I've been having the same problem: The energy saver functions that put the screen and then the HD to sleep shut down the screen, but not the HD no matter how I set them. I CAN put the HD to sleep with the file menu command or the computer's power button. I have just about all the things mentioned in this thread with no luck. What I did eventually discover was that if I signed out of iCloud, the HD was finally allowed to sleep. Evidently there is something that iCloud does that interferes with the energy saver sleep command. Looking in Terminal I see "Sleep prevented by UserEventAgent". Looking further, there is a "background task" called "co.apple.bird.sync". "Bird" (which sometimes shows up in Activity monitor, sometimes not) has something to do with synchronizing iCloud. This is what lead me to try signing out, and it worked.

Unfortunately, this is not a good long-term solution, because I want my iPhone and my iMac to communicate. Does anyone have any idea how to prevent iCloud from interfering with the Energy Saver sleep function?

Feb 5, 2017 8:21 AM in response to knorven

I've been fretting over this for weeks and have just fixed the problem! I realised the problem started happening around the time I had downloaded a new application. This application had set itself to open on startup, which was getting on my nerves anyway because I hardly ever use it. So I went to "users and groups" in "system preferences" and deleted it, amongst others, from the list. And now my imac is sleeping soundly.

Oct 24, 2014 9:26 AM in response to bdavis6759

Hi, I've the same problem since Yosemite. I noticed a lot of CPU activity caused by Chrome so I shut down Chrome and the screen went to sleep. I need to keep an eye on this one before I can be certain that Chrome is the problem.

-----.-----.----.

Well, ten minutes later. No special CPU activity with Chrome and now the screen goes to sleep. Chrome must have been doing something at the time to stop the system from powering down. This could be a problem when one leaves the desk and expects that the Mac will be protected. Very bad if one is on battery power and finds that there is no power left.

Oct 27, 2014 11:35 AM in response to bdavis6759

All,

Same situation here. iMac 13,1 goes to sleep, and wakes up immediately. If I select Sleep from menu, my display goes blank immediately, then after a couple of minutes the unit goes to sleep (I can /feelhear the hard drive still spinning until it does), then wakes back up almost immediately, sometimes activating the display sometimes not, but I can tell the unit is still "powered" on and not full alseep.

Robert

iMac won't go into sleep mode in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.