Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite is renaming my computer - why?

Hi,

Just noticed a bit of weirdness with Yosemite.

All of my computers are named after volcanoes, so this machine is called Snaefells, but shortly after upgrading to Yosemite, I noticed that the sidebar to every Finder window said Snaefells (3). I went into System Preferences and checked the Sharing options, sure enough MacOS had renamed my machine Snaefells (3).

I changed it back to Snaefells, closed the window and went back to work. A moment later, Finder changed the name of the computer again to Snaefells (2) and then to Snaefells (3).

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to stop it?

Mike.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2.7GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 5:28 AM

20 replies

Nov 1, 2014 7:42 AM in response to Mike Richards2

This appears to be an mDNS or Bonjour issue where the computer sees a ghost of itself and changes its name. Then, depending upon whether you have a static IP address or not, you get a "this IP address is already in use message" and/or an incremented computer name. Time Machine backups start messing up saving "iMac (2), iMac (3) etc. Even if TimeMachine appears to work, you will find you cannot go back in time past the last name change.

The only fix I have found and it has stuck for three days now is to modify the .apple.discoveryd.plist to include the -nonamechange flag using Terminal (all one line):

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :ProgramArguments: string --no-namechange" /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.discoveryd.plist

You can optionally also (re)set the computer name and host name from Terminal:

sudo hostname YOURHOSTNAME

and

sudo systemsetup -setcomputername YOURCOMPUTERNAME

After applying this plist change, I have "Wake for Network Access" enabled with no issues. I use static IP addressing but did try switching to DHCP and reserving an address, but no joy there for me.

Nov 4, 2014 7:03 PM in response to Mike Richards2

Found on MacinTouch; while setting the -nonamechange flag might stop it, this might be the cause of the problem

Antonio Tejada wrote

To the various readers with the problem of their computer name growing a parenthetical number: I had this, too, and I think I found the solution.

OS X appends the number to the machine name when it encounters another device already using that name. So, if you've only got one machine with that name, what else could be using it?? Enter Bonjour Sleep Proxy. This is a service that lets your Macs go to sleep, but their services continue to be offered via Bonjour. (When the Mac goes to sleep, the Sleep Proxy server masquerades as the Mac, continuing to advertise its services. If something tries to connect to the masquerade Mac, the Sleep Proxy server wakes the Mac, hands it its machine name back, and hands it the request to handle.) Apple routers do this, as do Apple TVs (if they don't already find another Sleep Proxy server).

My hunch is that everyone affected has an Apple router or Apple TV, as I do, and that for some reason, it's gotten out of sync and has continued to advertise the Mac's services even though it has already woken up.

So I tried this, and it worked:

1. Unplug AC power from all Apple TVs
2. Unplug AC power from all Apple routers
3. Reset the machine name in System Preferences
4. Reconnect the primary router and wait for it to boot
5. Reconnect any additional routers
6. Reconnect the Apple TVs

Yosemite is renaming my computer - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.