Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get itunes 12 to be normal?

woke up this morning and had a security update, so restarted. now my itunes really *****. how do i return to normalcy without having to have to think about where stuff is on itunes. I have always liked simplicity in itunes design, but i hate the no color, lack of constant sidebar, and horrible layout of this new design. and the logo turned red. can i simply revert or do i have to find some sort of itunes replacement? it is much too early in the morning for all of this hassle.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 27", i5

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 6:44 AM

I had the same problem but it is now fixed.

I'm afraid the only solution would be to get rid of the stupid itunes 12.0 and install itunes 11.4 again. But there is a glitch if you don't do it right.

Don't worry though it is easy.

You have to follow the tutorial here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/audio/3415214/how-downgrade-itunes-11-itunes-10- in-mac-os-x/

It works the same if you try downgrading from 12 to 11.

I just did it and I wanted to share this because I am now relieved ! My itunes is back as it was before the update.

You can get a copy of itunes 11.4 directly from Apple here: iTunes 11.4 for OS X 10.6 (it works for 10.6 and higher)

The only problem is to get a copy of Pacifist (it is NOT free), but you can find one free VERY easily if you use torrent (you see what I mean).

If you don't want to use torrents, I can give you mine if you want, maybe I can find a way to share it on google drive or dropbox...

And don't forget to back up the itunes media folder! It is very very important indeed. I used a Time machine backup of the itunes folder before i upgraded to 12 but I think it should work for any itunes library.

Tell me what you think.

You can't install itunes normally (through the dog file without pacifist) because it will say that it wan't installed properly

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Sam Beaver

I had the same problem but it is now fixed.

I'm afraid the only solution would be to get rid of the stupid itunes 12.0 and install itunes 11.4 again. But there is a glitch if you don't do it right.

Don't worry though it is easy.

You have to follow the tutorial here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/audio/3415214/how-downgrade-itunes-11-itunes-10- in-mac-os-x/

It works the same if you try downgrading from 12 to 11.

I just did it and I wanted to share this because I am now relieved ! My itunes is back as it was before the update.

You can get a copy of itunes 11.4 directly from Apple here: iTunes 11.4 for OS X 10.6 (it works for 10.6 and higher)

The only problem is to get a copy of Pacifist (it is NOT free), but you can find one free VERY easily if you use torrent (you see what I mean).

If you don't want to use torrents, I can give you mine if you want, maybe I can find a way to share it on google drive or dropbox...

And don't forget to back up the itunes media folder! It is very very important indeed. I used a Time machine backup of the itunes folder before i upgraded to 12 but I think it should work for any itunes library.

Tell me what you think.

You can't install itunes normally (through the dog file without pacifist) because it will say that it wan't installed properly

Oct 18, 2014 8:27 AM in response to Sam Beaver

True, iTunes 12 only makes sense for the foetus that designed it. We can't keep up with this rubbish. I wish Apple stayed the same. I think they try to justify that they are still making stuff since Steve Jobs passed away (RIP Steve), but they can't improve on perfection 😉

BTW, hate Yosemite, where has Aqua gone?? Thank god the update wasn't automatic and that they leave you the choice whether you want to install it or not...(unlike iTunes)

Oct 23, 2014 7:27 PM in response to Bad Gold Eagle

ok. got a little hungup on the pacifist itunes 11.4 installer, but got it installed. I'm testing this procedure on a cloned backup drive so i don't screw up my main harddrive.

it reloaded all music and movies, i think it is much cleaner now. has more in itunes than it did before (some might be duplicates or intended deleted files)

of course, it loses ratings, playlists, pdf books, organization of previously manually organized tv shows, and much of what has been built in the itunes over the years.

I think i might try this a few more times to see what i can do for preserving playlists, organization, and ratings.

Oct 24, 2014 1:48 AM in response to Sam Beaver

Hi again,

The fact that your manually organised TV shows are at the wrong place is weird. I have manually organised a show called Top Gear that I have recorded on TV and it is where it should be.

User uploaded file

I have no playlists or ratings, so I can't check that. You might find it useful to try with another itunes Backup. I heard some stories about some itunes Backups that were a bit corrupted, hence the lack of songs, videos, or indeed playlists and PDF books.

About PDF books, I've never tried these but were they stored in the itunes media folder or was it somewhere else?

When I upgraded to itunes 9, the folder where everything was stored changed its name and where things used to be. (remember how itunes music became itunes media and all the problems related to this?) I had to reorganise everything back then. Maybe there's a glitch.

how to get itunes 12 to be normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.