Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS shutting down internet access

Using OSX 10.9.4 Working fine on start-up for about 30 minutes then internet access shuts down. Have tested peripherals in safe mode and got rid of one that appeared to cause the problem. But after a couple of weeks of OK operations, the problem is back. Restarting does NOT clear the condition. To get back online I have to shut down then re-boot with the power switch.

Any advice? I'm getting desperate here...

Don Hutchins

Kingston WA

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 7:01 AM

3 replies

Oct 21, 2014 1:30 AM in response to dbhutchins

dbhutchins, I'm seeing the same on multiple macs.

It seems to have been introduced as far back as updating from 10.9.2 (my personal upgrade path was going from 10.9.2 → 10.9.4 → 10.9.5). The issue occurs on both my macs (one 2011 iMac, one 2012 MacBook Air).

I suspect the issue was introduced system wide in an update released after 10.9.2 because:

- Safari, Chrome, Firefox are all affected on both computers in primary and guest user accounts.

- I have a 10.9.2 known-good OS (no user settings - clean install) installed on an external HDD. When I use this as a boot drive, the issue does not persist.

- I have a bootable Linux drive, same result (issue does not persist).

- Ping testing shows nothing abnormal (less than 0.0% drops) on affected units.

- Issue persists on multiple networks (one has WPA2 Enterprise, one has WPA2 Personal, the last is an open password-less network).

- Again like the OP, rebooting temporarily resolves the issue.

- Anecdotally, a colleague has the same issue on a 15" Retina, and the issue persists with a clean 10.10 Yosemite install.

Since this seems to be tied to an update, it is worth noting the 10.9.3 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6228) and 10.9.4 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222) combo update pages shows that Safari received a 7.0.3 and 7.0.5 update during this timeframe.

To anyone with knowledge:

What OS level components could have been updated in Mavericks after 10.9.2 that would affect browser activity?

Where would you be looking for a resolution?

OS shutting down internet access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.