Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to mute FaceTime ringer

Hi all,

After installing Yosemite and playing around with it a bit one question remains.. is there anyway to mute the ringer from FaceTime ?

Receiving the iphone's calls directly on the mac is pretty awesome but the ringing makes it a pain.. If i'm in front of the screen the notification on the upper right of the screen is enough to realize someone is calling, if i'm not, i probably have my phone with me.. if i m watching a video i'd like to be able to see that someone is calling but i don't need any sound for that... Is there a silence mode for FaceTime somewhere ?

The FaceTime preference's panel allows me to choose a ringtone but not to disable it... any help appreciated !

Have a nice day.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 7:12 AM

16 replies

Nov 22, 2017 10:29 AM in response to bedelman

I previously had used bedelman's trick to add a "silent" ringtone for FaceTime. Thanks for that, bedelman!

However this past week I updated my laptop to macOS 10.13 High Sierra, and quickly realized I had to re-apply it. Before that though, I simply tried the original suggestion (System Preferences > Notifications > FaceTime > Unselect the "Play sound for notifications" checkbox) and lo and behold, that now works. So no need for Terminal commands, installing Silence.m4r or using Unix VI editor. Just use Apple's own UI to turn off sound in notifications for the FaceTime app. Finally!

Jan 31, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Nicktipa

Try this workaround. It worked for me

1. Download silence ringtone from http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971156 or any other source (.m4r)

2. Go to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Rin gtones/ and copy silence.m4r in that location.

3. Delete any ringtone in that folder and rename the silence ringtone (For ex., I deleted Uplift.m4r and renamed Silence.m4r to Uplift.m4r)

4. Go to Face time preferences and choose this Ringtone (Ex., Uplift.m4r)

5. you are done

It is not elegant solution but works

Jul 2, 2015 1:39 PM in response to tdudu

Here's the steps I performed to accomplish this...

1. I downloaded the silence.m4r file from http://richardkmiller.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/silence_ringtone.php
  2. I renamed the downloaded file to be named Silence.m4r (instead of silence.m4r - to make the name match other ringtone naming)
  3. In Finder, I used the "Go To Folder" choice under the "Go" menu to go to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Ri ngtones/
  4. I copied the Silence.m4r file into that folder
  5. I launched the Terminal Application and performed the following commands (blue text)...
    1. sudo su -
    2. You will be prompted for your computer password -- key it in. You are now the "super user" (also known as "root")
    3. cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Ri ngtones/
    4. chmod 644 Silence.m4r
    5. chown root:wheel Silence.m4r
    6. cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/
    7. vim TKRingtones.plist
      1. You are now within the Unix VI editor
      2. Press down arrow until you reach the line containing <string>system:Sonar</string>
      3. Press the i key (for insert)
      4. Add line for <string>system:Silence</string>
      5. Add any tabs or things to make text look tidy
      6. Press ESC key (to escape from Insert mode)
      7. Press : key (colon key)
      8. Type wq to "write" and "quit" followed by RETURN key (if you just want to quit without saving changes type q!)
      9. exit
      10. You are no longer the "super user"
      11. exit
      12. You have exited from the command line interface and the Terminal window can be closed/quit

Launch Facetime and you should now see a "Silence" choice within the ringtones selection within Facetime (within the Classic group)​

Oct 7, 2015 6:16 PM in response to txcabo

I put together those earlier instructions for Yosemite (10.10). I'm not sure if they would work if you're running El Capitan though. After I upgraded my Yosemite system, I lost the "Silence" choice on the drop-down menu -- and now the shown choice is merely empty (blank). But I could pull the drop-down and choose something from the list shown.

how to mute FaceTime ringer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.