Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yosemite overheating macbook pro

Hello,

I just updated my macbook pro to Yosemite and I am experience serious overheating problems (I am using to simple tasks, nothing demanding)

I tried resetting the SMC with no success.

Any advice how to solve?

Thanks.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 8:25 AM

33 replies

Oct 18, 2014 2:24 PM in response to Jakkov

I am having the same exact issue with my mid 2012 15" rMBP. Spent a while on the phone with an Apple person yesterday and could not resolve this issue (tried resetting the SMC several times with no success as well). The fan is just blowing non stop as if I were playing a demanding game although I am just watching my desktop. I made an appointment at the Genius bar for the end of next week but I'm hoping to have this issue resolved before then...

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Memory: 16

Oct 18, 2014 4:14 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Just ran the test and no trouble was found. I doubt that it is hardware though since our problem started right after installing Yosemite. I tried restoring my computer to a time machine backup from Mavericks and then reinstalling Yosemite but that did not help. When I boot in safe mode, the computer does not seem to be overheating. Any other thoughts?

yosemite overheating macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.