Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 extremely slow?

I updated to iTunes 12 before upgrading to Yosemite. I thought it was incredibly slow. I was hoping it was just because I hadn't updated to Yosemite yet.

I was wrong.

Changing from playlist to playlist, from music to movies, the name of a track... pretty much every single step I take has 2-4 seconds of lag time. Beach ball on every click.

Granted, I have a library that has hundreds of playlists and 150k songs at over a terabyte on an external drive, but none of that mattered yesterday when I was running iTunes 11 on OS X 10.9. I had heard that each iteration of iTunes was making it more and more difficult for users with massive libraries, but I never really noticed until now.

I'm planning on reaching out to iTunes, not that I expect a response, just hoping that others are doing the same and a fix could be in the works.

Is anyone else having this problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), iTunes 12

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 9:15 AM

90 replies

Jan 8, 2017 6:26 AM in response to chuckp8

I have the same problem, iTunes has slowed down to a crawl, spinning beachball for minutes, "application not responding".

I use a MacPro (late 2013) with 64GB of RAM, the iTunes library is located on a Promise Pegasus NAS (28TB), my library has a size of 7.03TB (over 238'000 items), the NAS is attached via thunderbolt, almost all files are "apple lossless".

This is a pain in the ***, whenever I try to use the search function, the spinning beach ball pops up and iTunes virtually freezes, same whenever I switch to a different view (from songs to albums for instance), basic stuff so to speak.

I tried to create a new library (re-importing my music files to a new library file), I started up in safe mode (made no difference), so I am stuck. Apple should address this problem asap!

Oct 19, 2014 4:22 AM in response to chuckp8

Echo for this problem. I have a MacBook Air, 8Gb ram, i7 processor, so I don't believe it's caused by lack of hard ware. My library is relatively large (300Gb), and access via my home network, but with iTunes 11 it was ok (I wouldn't say fast, but it was useable) now with iTines 12 it is pretty much unuseable - 35 minutes to add tracks to the library, 17 minutes to add 10 tracks to my phone...

I am extremely unimpressed, but have not found a good solution so far.

Giles

Oct 20, 2014 3:19 PM in response to chuckp8

OMGSOSLOW

I have a large library, but I also have a very fast Mac - 6-core 2014 3.6 GHz Xeon E5 Mac Pro with 32 Gigs of RAM.

It took 45 minutes (I am not making that up) to uncheck the "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" box. Even the most simple tasks take a few seconds of beachball or more.

The last few major iterations of iTunes have started out slow and then improved somewhat with revisions, but this one is shockingly, lamely slow. Almost unusable, and for some tasks, unusable, period.

Oct 25, 2014 1:21 PM in response to chuckp8

This is the slowest iTunes ever! It's EXTREMELY slow when using the keyboard. I just switched to Spotify even if I don't like it. NICE job Apple I'm also having the same problem with Safari for back/forward gestures. It's not logic to reload every page for every back/forwards gesture. Maybe I want to go back 3+ steppes? Should I wait for the two other pages to reload before I can see the third one?

APPLE WHAT THE ****? IS THE ISSUE EVEN TESTED? HOW CAN YOU RELEASE A APP WITH SUCH A ISSUE?

Please, how can I as an Apple-fanboy promote your products when I've stopped believe in them?

Oct 26, 2014 8:03 PM in response to chuckp8

I was struggling with this and doing all kinds of research online. I just discovered that my computer was perpetually trying to sync with my iphone. I just turned off the wifi on my phone and the computer is now functioning fine, itunes included. I recognize that this is not a permanent fix as I do need to use my phone's wifi at times, but at least I can use my computer now.

Oct 26, 2014 10:32 PM in response to chuckp8

I had an issue a little similar to this. My iPad Air took 30 minutes to sync through cable to iTunes. I used this note

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

to reindex my iTunes on my iMac running Maverics. After recreating iTunes indexes and whatever, my iPad Air (original) running IOS 8 now sync within e couple of minutes. I have approx. 400 apps on my iPad.

My old iPad 2 and our iPhones 4S and 5 were NOT slow. Only iPad Air.

Perhaps some reindexing of iTunes internals is the problem for you.

Oct 27, 2014 11:30 AM in response to torben4711

Oh man... this ruined me.

I did what the directions indicated, but it tried to copy all of my music to my internal drive. All of my music lives on an external drive. There is nearly 2 terabytes of music in there. I didn't know I had to reassign the library back to my external drive. When the copying hit the max on my internal drive everything stopped because it ran out of space. That's where my xml file left off. I've lost all of my playlists (1000s since I've been building this library almost 10 years) and only 15k songs are listed. Granted, all of my music still lives on the external drive but now I have to build every one of those 1000s of playlists from scratch... unless someone has a fix for me.

Dear god, please let someone have a fix for me. Anyone?

Chuck

Oct 27, 2014 1:47 PM in response to chuckp8

This is truly one of the worst variations of iTunes ever, it's as if someone ran to get this out to the public with out testing it first. I have been trying to sync my iPhone for the last thirty-five minutes and it is still not done; my normal sync times had been in the ball park of two to four minutes depending on how much has changed since the last sync. Now I don't know if I'll ever sync it again, at least not until some patches this version or wait for unlucky 13.

Oct 29, 2014 8:31 AM in response to chuckp8

I tried re-importing the iTunes library and I can't recommend this solution.

1. It didn't solve the problem. iTunes was still freezing/slow afterwards.
  2. It took more than four hours (how much more? I don't know; I went to bed.)
  3. When iTunes finished the import, it threw an error saying it couldn't find all my songs.
  4. After completion, Time Machine decided a large portion of my 3.6 TeraByte library needed to be backed up again. 833 GB, to be precise.

My library is a little over 80,000 items and iTunes takes 10-15 minutes to mount the iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Synching my iPod Classic takes forever, even when I am not adding/removing media. A sync that used to take 45 seconds is now taking 5-10 minutes. Most of the iPod Classic sync time is spent "checking for tracks to update".

iTunes 12 has been a disaster for me. How do I downgrade to the mildly crappy iTunes 11?

iTunes 12 extremely slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.