Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcasts not refreshing in iTunes 12.0.1.26.

Podcasts are not updating after hitting the refresh button. Have found recent podcast episodes for subscribed podcasts in iTunes store and downloaded them but they did not automatically come up when I hit the refresh button. Have setting set to manually update podcasts not automatically every how often. Could try that next but weekend updates are less frequent than weekdays.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iPad, iPhone, iPod Nano

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 11:19 AM

10 replies

Jan 6, 2015 8:18 AM in response to ManxYessir

Yes... this also worked for me... clearly something is wrong with Apple's HORRIBLE iCloud solution for syncing podcasts across all devices. I've had trouble on and off with it from the start...

I wish I could find a way to actually reset the sync data for my appleid. if anyone knows how, please chime in!! and no, just deleting/unsubscribing from all podcasts on all devices does not work. It "remembers" not only everything you've ever played, but also remembers all the irritating bugs too!

Dec 15, 2014 1:24 PM in response to davewilld

I have experienced this (on MacOS 10.8 and 10.10) since the iTunes with the red icon downloaded (I am currently 12.0.1.26). In fact, I am experiencing it right now.

One scenario that seems to trigger it is that one of my feeds will go haywire and try to download several years worth of old Podcasts. If I stop it by deleting the ones in progress, then it will stop refreshing all of my podcasts. Today an NPR music podcast decided to start downloading four years worth of mini concerts on a hotel Wifi that has inconsistent performance.

The only thing I have found to fix it is to quit iTunes and leave my Mac up and running for several hours (I usually do this overnight). Then the next morning it seems to start refreshing the other feeds again.

I have a few Podcasts that have 4-8 years of episodes and all are still in the feed. It is several Gigabytes if all these download again so I don't want to tie up my bandwidth and I kill it when I see that happening. The real thing that needs to be fixed is why these old episodes show up as new again. I think the changes to Podcasts including having the concept of episodes "in the cloud", or on one device but not the others, is contributing to these glitches.

(Note: I let iTunes on my laptop manage everything. I then put episodes into playlists in the order I want to listen to them and sync the playlists to the other devices from time to time.)

Feb 4, 2015 7:24 PM in response to yellow.jacket

I turned off iCloud. It's not a good solution for sync. Instead, I use another remote server. There are thousands of other choices that are very secure, work well, and offer more free space than iCloud. Mine gives me 50GB free. Others give 20GB. I rarely sync podcasts, anyway--just iPod and/or iPhone [used as an iPod]. You can set the podcasts app to download your podcasts automatically, and choose whether to save them or delete after listening, through one of the settings in the app.

Dec 5, 2015 12:36 PM in response to ManxYessir

Thanks for this! I too had a problem with my podcasts not updating their iTunes feeds, even though the iTunes store showed the latest episodes! Once I unchecked the "Sync Podcast Subscriptions and Settings" in Preferences, iTunes downloaded three days' worth of podcasts. I have no idea why this setting would have suddenly become a problem, but there it is.

Podcasts not refreshing in iTunes 12.0.1.26.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.